What are your plans for summer fun this year?

During the summer when my children were younger I had a group of friends who would meet at a centrally located park so our children could play together while some of us watched and most of us talked.

I got into the habit of bringing a bag of toys, games or art supplies that mainly consisted of things I would find at amazing clearance prices as I was shopping for necessities or gifts. Some items were: Chinese paper yoyos (long, colorful strips of paper wound around a stick, glued at one end); little buckets; squirt animals; temporary tattoos; little lights; whirlybirds; costumes and dress-up clothes; foam frisbees; homemade ring-toss or clothespin drop games; art paper and other supplies.

Of course I kept the supplies in my car for when it was just my children and me stopping for a break from whatever else we were doing - driving home from a therapy session or doctor appointment, etc. I would also keep a little bag of items just for long car rides, sometimes with a new toy to surprise my daughter or son.

Something that caught my eye this week, months after everyone else knew about it, is the fabulous Tattoo Barbie. I planned to buy one for my niece but now I am rethinking that - I want one for myself just to check it out first. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If you check out the link above, you will find some wonderful comments as well as complaints about the availability of Tattoo Barbie.

A friend's firefighter husband took a book of sweet, feminine temporary tattoos I found at Target last year to burn camp for girls who had a more limited selection previously. I do believe girls should have both the option to display temporary body art and a wide variety of styles to choose from, including those that may be more fierce or striking than those available for the Barbie doll.

Growing up with a childhood disability can present challenges that have nothing to do with the diagnosis and everything to do with misinformation and prejudice. I believe that as many children with special needs would be interested in body art and Tatoo Barbie. as their mainstream peers. Maybe more.

I hope all our children have the opportunity for summer fun and great memories this year and always.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Art and Self Expression for Children

Outdoor Games for Children

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website