logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I still wonder, though, if the Mayan Calendar does not predict or insinuate the end of the world, but simply that the calendar (the circle) is to be repeated, in order to carry on the dates and go forward.

Here is an excerpt from my article:

So, I came upon a simple solution. The Mayan calendar, based on a period of 260 days and covering centuries, from ancient times to the winter solstice in 2012, is a cycle of time. At the end of that cycle, a new cycle will begin. The new cycle was just not calculated by the ancients. Why would they go beyond the many centuries they did when maybe the new cycle will just be a repeat of the same calendar, the same cycle with different dates?

Since ancient times, the Native Americans have seen life in the form of circles, from birth to death, to rebirth in another realm - in human life as well as all creation. On that morning, after the end of the Mayan calendar cycle, is the world going to be destroyed? Or, is simply a new cycle of time in centuries going to begin?

What do you think?

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 05/28/09 10:54 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Phyllis, I'm glad you brought this up, because I had heard this also, I think on that PBS special referenced earlier by someone. That the 2012 date is meant to signal the start of a new cycle, and so does represent a major turning point, but doesn't have an apocolyptic connotation. And that is interesting to me because it corresponds to Hindu writing on yugas, although there aren't any specific dates tied to 2012 related to yugas that I have personally heard of. But the idea behind yugas is also cyclical.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
I think that it is common for people to look for an apocolyptic event to end a certain period of time. I think that if we look deep within our spirit we long for change. How many of us say,"I can't keep going on this way!" What then do we do, we change within. Sometimes the most ardent supporters of a drastic change are those that have the greaest amount of change that needs to be done within. Coping with life daily is an incredible challange for anyone but there are no shortcuts. We can make the necessary change and grow or we have lesser options that usually end up less than satisfactory. Most of the time when we avoid change we end up back with the same choice a little further down the road. The change we need to make is within. Changes outside happen as a result of changes within. 2012 is everyday. Blessed Be

I remember what it was like when the year 2000 was approaching. People were panicking and some I knew were actually getting sick over the worry of an apocolyptic event happening. It was bizarre!

I agree with you, ancientflaxman, "The change we need to make is within".

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
mjf Offline
M
This is the first time I've ever written on a forum so bear with me! What you're talking about reminds of the fascinating book I just read by Gregg Braden-Fractal Time. He talks about all the same things you are-the cycles etc. Really a great book about 2012.

Gecko
Gecko
Phyllis, I think you have a good question here.

The thing I think about most when people think of "the end" is really simple. What are we doing today? Are we loving each other? Are we living....truly living our lives?

You know the old saying....what if you got hit by a bus tomorrow? May be corny but it's a good question to ask ourselves. Does knowing or not knowing the date that we will end our lives in this world make a difference in the way we live our lives today?

Think about how many people succumb to a bad health report and actually will die in the given time frame of six months. What if they were told they had six years? Subconsciously would they have more strength to live longer? To trust in the Divine Healer's plan instead?

Just a few thoughts....and by the way....have a beautiful and lovely day, today and tomorrow....and every day after that smile

Thank you, Sue, for your thoughts and your well wishes. I agree with you on not worrying about when the end may come. I live for today. I wish you well and I wish for you enough - enough of all that you may need, for now and for all time. Blessings.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Hello Sue !! Your attitude is incredible !!!! I will print what you have posted and put it up on my fridge.

Gecko
Gecko
Phyllis smile Thank you so much for the beautiful blessings....you are a wonderful soul.....thank you smile Have an amazing and spectacular day....today!

Gecko
Gecko
Ancientflaxman....thank you smile Stay inspired and may you enjoy each day, to the full, filled with love and joy for yourself and those around you smile many blessings smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ro Longstreet-Wicca 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.