Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#535557 07/09/09 08:19 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I'm curious. I buy yarn from pretty much everywhere...How about you?

Where do you shop most
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/09/09 08:17 PM

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Yarn shops used to be all over the place. Now they are few and far between. There is only one in our area. I know one can order yarn online, but I like to see the color myself up close and I like to feel the texture. JoAnn's used to be a good source for yarn, and Michael's also, but, their choices are not so good. They do not offer as many colors and types as they used to.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
In my area, Santa Cruz, there are actually 4 bonafide knitting shops and two fabric stores with yarn. In the area between San Jose and Monterey there are about 30 shops (at least). It is amazing! So although I buy my yarn from nearly everywhere, I do buy most from the local shops.

P.S. Don't tell my family they have no idea how much yarn I have. If you are on Ravelry my ravelry name is Margeknits.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Gecko
Gecko
When I can afford to, I purchase yarns from the 'net. I live in a very, very small town, so we have one very limited source. I usually have to go to another town to purchase anything other than the standard selections.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I'm like Sara, we have nothing around here, but a minimal selection at Wally World. If I'm buying for a project (more than one skein) I generally get it online from Joann's.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I've found at thrift and close out stores. A few times I've actually found quantity of the same dye lot.

I bought a skein the other day still in the bag. When I got home and opened it, there was a double pointed needle punched through the bag and into the yarn. That was a bonus! I'm hoping I'll luck up and find a cable needle. I need one of those!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
I am a lucky duck to live close to a yarn shop that sounds like one you read about in a novel. The owner is helpful,friendly and promotes classes in such a fashion, that you don't want to miss out and sign up! Let's not even talk about the yarn! It's a tactile PARTY!!! And you're encouraged to touch!
Every Saturday there's 2hrs of hanging out with spinners,knitters,weavers and crochetters....and HOMEMADE GOODIES!
Oh yes I'm a lucky duck!
L.L.Leight

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Have you seen the discussions on how to cross cables without a needle? Check these out:

Knitting Help

Wendy Knits

You Tube

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I buy yarn at Joanns when I'm at home but when I travel, I always hit the local yarn shops to get something special. When I was in Oregon recently, I went to very nice yarn shops in both Medford and Ashland.

I remember way back when, Hobby Lobby used to have lots of great types of yarn but went there recently and saw just basic yarns. Very disappointing.

When I get much better at Knitting, I want to buy some handspun yarns from stores I've seen on Etsy. Since I need practice tho, don't want to waste very expensive yarns. they sure look beautiful though.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Ah, don't sell yourself short though. One thing I'm not sure I've successfully stated anywhere is that price isn't always an indicator of great yarns. Price can be an indicator, but how it feels, how it wears, how it is spun also play a huge roll.

Yarn that splits or pills, or stretches (when it shouldn't) can make a finished product look bad, wear poorly and make you miserable.

Enough said.

I, too, try to hit LYS's when I travel and use the yarn as a souvenir. Very fun to have a hobby. When I travel I also look for used book stores to see if I can find any hard to find knitting books.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
R
R
There is a Yarn Outlet in the city near me. They carry standards like Bernat and Sirdar but they also stock all the special yarns like silk blends and organic fibers, etc. The yarn outlet invites anyone to "Sit and Knit" even if you didn't buy your yarn from them. They even help you figure out a pattern problem. I prefer to shop there. Sometimes I go to Joann's as they have an extensive button section and the yarn department "calls" to me to come see! The same thing happens to me when I go to Michaels! So occasionally I buy yarn there as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.