logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hello all, I searched for an answer before posting so I apologize in advance if I'm asking something that is already answered. My father wants to create a family tree and he asked me to find out what his options are. I've noticed that there are some websites that do this such as geni.com and myheritage.com, and also software that does this such as Family Tree Maker (which I believe is connected to Ancestry.com) and GenoPro. Which of these is the better choice? (or is there something better that I don't know about yet?) Thank you for your time, Scott

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I think some of the websites out there charge you a monthly fee, but I am not sure. I have a program on my computer that I use. I guess it is just for my personal use, it is not connected to the internet. I am sure someone that is more knowledgeable will come answer your questions.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Hi Scott. Visit the genealogy forum and web page found under FAMILY. There are some sites where you can download a family tree chart to fill in and family group sheets. The best thing to do is start with yourself (your father since he wants to start working on a family tree) and go back. For everyone on a chart, there must be documentation and proof. First your father needs to gather data he has at home: birth, marriage, military, school, work, church, etc.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you very much!

O
O
Scott, if you need further help please email me here at Bella online. I've been doing genealogy research for over 30 years. I'll help anyway I can.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
What states are of interest to you? My mother was from Georgia but I live in Virginia so personal research is of the long distance variety. My father's family was from Italy.

N
N
Scott..I've been doing my family tree for many years..I was born in N.Car and have found relatives all over America..I use Family Tree Maketr and it is the best I've seen...By the way..my tree has over 18,000 names on it..

N
N
[quote=Angie]What states are of interest to you? My mother was from Georgia but I live in Virginia so personal research is of the long distance variety. My father's family was from Italy. [/quote] My inlaws also came from Italy..It's hard to find anything on them as they do not spell their names like it was in Italy..Before they passed away, I got a lot of info from them.. My mom's family came to N.Car from Wales about 1699 and my dad's family came about 1728 from Ireland..again the names were changed a lot either by the census taker, or just to make it easier to write down..

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
That's great that you have been so successful in tracing your lines. I know that names are garbled no matter where they were from or where they lived. Sometimes people stayed in the same county for more than a generation and the names would be spelled differently depending on the scribe. I have seen names spelled several different ways in the same record. When doing genealogy you have to think creatively, especially when working with search engines and the databases.

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.