Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey. Taking a break from studying for tomorrow's test to post a reply. I know how you feel. You do all this work and share it, and although you really are expecting payment, a nice thanks would suffice. Many times I get calls for info and as soon as they get it I mentioned if I could get their info and they all of a sudden have to go. It does not Always happen that way, but when it does it is really frustrating. Most of the time I find people to be nice, thankful and sharing but there is those exceptions. But as Angie said, sometimes it is slow. I did some genealogy for someone on my son's soccer team as a learning experience as it was an Italian name, etc. Sent it to her and soccer was over so never heard a word. I bet almost 3-4 months went by, I had forgotten about it. I got the nicest letter in the mail with a $25 check to say thanks. She had just been so busy and saw the genealogy one day on the desk and it trigger her to send a thank you. so, you may yet still get a thanks...I appreciate your sharing as it lets us see we may not be alone in how we feel.

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Those who know me always talk about my lack of patience. I've probably put it out for display in this case. I don't know the circumstance on the other end. But I do know how excited I would have been and what I would have done.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Tina, what course are you studying? Or are you giving the test?

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi.. I am in my last year taking Medical Administrative Assistance courses. My test is in Microsoft Applications. I am one of the "Older" students in the class. This semester for some reason has been my hardest adn takes me longer to work on. I am sure it will get better, but I feel I am neglecting my Bellaonline site. I do think of you guys often and appreciate your comments.

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
So good luck tomorrow. Test well while I'm busy making 21 kid's napping pillows (see the "Sewing Forum" - what people won't do for their grandchildren).

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
We've all got irons in the fire - work, school, hobbies. There is never a dull moment. Good luck Tina on your studies.

My talk is in next week. My presentation is ready but I need to review it and make sure I can present all my information. It should be fun.

I joined the Transitional Genealogist group and they are starting a study group for professional genealogy. We're review the book and break down into small groups to discuss it. I think it will run for about 18 months. There were quite a number of people who signed up for it. I'll keep you all posted.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Angie,

I am part of the first group for TGS and ProGen. I have learned so much from being a part of it. Here is how my group is set up:

TGS: We have NGS case studies to read. We get together via chats and discuss it. What you may miss someone else picked up on and what you got they may have missed. Plus learning the different styles and techniques. I am going to renew my NGS based on this group. Great learning tool.

ProGen is more in depth. WE are give assignments to do and turn into our little peer groups. The Assignments are based on our reading of ProGen material. Then, we have a monthly chat to discuss the material and any questions we may have had. Elissa Powell moderates our group. She teaches the Professional Genealogy course at Samford in June. I told it a couple years ago. And I am still learning from that book. If you don't own it, it is a great investment whether you go Pro or just do genealogy for yourself.

Well, I am in class so better go. I definitely think the groups are worth while. I don't think there are openings in the ProGen group as it is based on a course schedule, but they are starting a Transitional Study Group I think. I don't really keep up with the new groups since I am already in one. But, I'll try to find out and post it as soon as I can find out something.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Tina, this is ProGen2 and will be modeled after your group. Debbie Wayne is going to be one of the leaders. There are about 40 people interested in participating. There is a delay due to the hurricane damage and several people were affected by the power outages. I plan to get the book but just haven't had a chance to do so yet.

Thanks so much for telling me about your experience with this. I don't anticipate becoming a certified genealogist but I do help people and I am always trying to be a better researcher.

A
A
I used to share mine in the beginning but found that long lost family would come and take what i had and then disappear so I pulled everything from the rootsweb. I had people downloading my Gedcom then uploading it again claiming it as their own. I also had people show up take what they could and when I asked for stuff in return they fell off the face of the earth. I also discovered that if you upload a Gedcom to Rootsweb it wounds up getting sold on Genealogy.com I certainly do not want other people making money off of all my hard work and research. So as it stands now I wont share unless the other person gives me something first or if they offer to purchase what I have, but only in extreme cases do I do that. I'd much rather share what I have and get something in return as well.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
We have a family group on Yahoo and before that on another forum. I did post on my AOL webpage too. I am sure some folks were gleaners but I am a believer in sharing. I feel the more people working on a family the more opportunities to solve the mysteries.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.