logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I am making a white cake with a whipped cream and raspberry filling. However I don't know what to frost the cake with. I need the frosting to be able to decorate the cake a little, ie... scalloped edging and a cross in th emiddle of the cake. any Suggestions????

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Shark
Shark
N
Take a paper or cloth doily that is approximate size of the top of the cake or even a bit smaller then lightly dust the top with powdered sugar.

Oh, I almost forgot...REMOVE doily before eating. Hahahahah :Wink:

Last edited by Navigaar; 05/30/09 09:23 PM.

Gecko
Gecko
I agree, that's a great and simple way to decorate the cake and the filling will show also. You can also, and this is, for ease, for sure, mix cool whip with some raspberry jam, frost the cake lightly and then pipe your scalloped edging where you'd like it to be. Maybe put some fresh mint leaves and raspberries around the cross, edging or bottom of cake stand.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
You could also frost it with slightly sweetened real whipped cream and garnish with a few sprigs of mint and some fresh raspberries

Karen Hancock, Desserts Editor
Desserts Website
Desserts Forum
N
Shark
Shark
N

Oh Please. No CoolWhip. It's so bad for you. It's all chemicals.

Gecko
Gecko
You'll have to forgive me on the cool whip. When we lived in the mid-west, everything was cool whip, even when it was made fresh. Wrong choice of words here but same meaning!!

N
Shark
Shark
N

Buttercream? Cooked or not. I had a friend who was in the bakery business, gourmet cakes. One day we were discussing frosting and he told me that most people think Buttercream is just made with butter and powdered sugar, vanilla and a little cream, that's what I always thought. But he said that the original Buttercream frosting was a cooked frosting. He told me how he made it but I forget, sorry. I'm sure we can look it up on-line. It sounded more like he was making mayonaisse.

Not too sweet fluffy? { It's in my recipe box } It's really nice. It stays forever and doesn't harden but it doesn't sit around very long, it's so good. It's part cooked, part not. It's one of my favourites.

Chocolate buttercream?

I think someone already suggest REAL whipped cream. Nothing wrong with that. Especially on chocolate cake. I make a Flourless Chocolate Mousse cake and always have it with real whipped cream. It's an odd little cake. I make it in a 7 inch springform pan. It looks heavy but it's actualy very light.

You know I am talking myself right into baking something now.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love Cool Whip and use it to make parfaits with pudding or jello. It is good on cakes also, blended with berries, like you suggested, Sue. It has a good flavor and is easy to spread.

Some people cannot have much dairy products or eggs, so, I find that Cool Whip is a good substitute. It does have a little milk-derivative, casein, but, not enough to harm the lactose intolerant folks. I use the whip in the tub, not aerosol.

If you want the filling to show for color, just spread the cool whip on top and drizzle some mashed berries over it.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 06/02/09 05:34 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The recipe for Cooked Buttercream is on the Desserts Site. It is decadent. Here is the URL: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art7174.asp

Karen Hancock, Desserts Editor
Desserts Website
Desserts Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Karen...FYI....I love your real German Chocolate Cake Recipe....4 stars!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Karen - Desserts 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.