Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
I think the local stray cats in my neighborhood have decided that my backyard is "transit point" - much like Ellis Island was - on the way to good homes elsewhere.

About 18 months ago, a mama cat showed up in my backyard with three kittens. After much struggle and a $300 "donation" later, a local no-kill shelter took the kittens in and found them homes. I got mama cat spayed and she hangs out in my backyard. A few months later, another female cat showed up. Much struggle and $100 later, another no-kill shelter found her a home. Three months ago, a third female cat showed up. $150 later, found her a new home! Now there is a new male cat in my backyard!

I cannot help but wonder if the local strays somehow talk to each other telepathically!! shocked

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I used to have the same problem, but we lived right next to a state forest where locals used to dump animals they no longer wanted. We couldn't let them starve so we always had a continuing supply of cats.

We have since moved and learned never to feed stray cats because the cats could teach bunnies how to multiply, and our budget would not allow us to spay or neuter them all.

See if there is some reason, like a lonely stretch of road near your house, why there are so many strays near you.

Unfortunately, with all the foreclosures, many animals are becoming homeless, too. The county we used to live in was considered a "third class" county which by law makes it unlawful for the county to have an animal control program, so we were completely on our own with all the strays. It's sad, but we can't afford to help any more than our own pets.

G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
I know that you mean about not feeding strays!! I have stopped feeding the new stray male. I have since started feeding the first spayed female indoors so that other stray cats are no longer attracted to my backyard. We'll have to see if it works!

T
Shark
Shark
T
Hello All,

I just read about a new policy followed by quite a few people who take care of the feral cats in their neighborhoods. It's called " Catch-Neuter-Release. " The cages to catch the feral cats are very humane as they are large and provide room for water and food. There are veterinarians who donate their time and skills to do the spaying and neutering. After this is done, the volunteer who took the feral cat/s to be altered takes the cat/s into his/her home long enough for the cat/s to recover. After that, the cats are released. This is a great way to keep the feral population down and to prevent more cats from seeing not too bright a future. Some of these feral cats are even given to very nice homes.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have volunteered for a rescue group and believe me stray cats are a hugh problem. If you have a PAWS in your area, contact them. The one here runs a TNR program and all you have to do is give them a donation. Just remember though, for a couple days after the surgery the cat needs to be indoors because it needs to be kept warm and watched for symptoms of shock. Check your local humane society..they often have TNR programs for strays too. Also, once a month Ally Cats Allies runs a spay/neuter program for the people in the city and that's based on the ability for the people to pay. Also google SNAP to see if it operates in your area. That group will give you a coupon for a spay/neuter for $25.00 from specified vets.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
T
Shark
Shark
T
Dear WalkingGranny,

Thank you so much for posting this information! Kudos to you for volunteering! I know you saved a lot of cats by doing so. Cats you never even saw.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
no problem...I'm here to help anyone I can find a way to save kitties. They are my passion.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.