Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I wasn't sure where to post. I would like to design my own cross stitch sampler and was wondering if anyone has done this and if they have any tips to offer! Thanks! Connie

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
BTW...I was wanting it to be an old fashioned looking one.

~anonymous~
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
While my topic does not address cross stitching, that is another one of my hobbies. grin

I would search under "cross stitch sampler pattern" to find patterns that are around the web. Here are a couple of links that I found:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Connie

I can help you (being the Embroidery editor here). With a sampler, you first need to decide what sort of sampler you want to do, and what your theme is.

Basically, samplers come in two types - square ones and long thin "band" samplers. Now - I've just had a look for my article on samplers. Written but not uploaded (I think I've been having a few too many blonde moments there...).

It depends on your experience too. If you are a beginner, then I would stick to simple designs. More experienced embroiderers can usually let themselves go.

There are 2 options in making your own sampler. You can design it from scratch - motifs, etc., or you can go through your patterns and find motifs that you like and then your "design" is the decision on where they should be on your sampler.

Traditionally, there are 2 types of samplers - ones that are true samplers and show different stitches, motifs and generally "playing" with the designs, stitches and colour to see what works. These are often referred to as "working" samplers.

The other type (and what most people think of as a sampler) are those with motifs, an alphabet or verse and then the stitcher's name or initials and date.

Both types can be either the square or band style of sampler.

Samplers always look best stitched on linen - if you haven't used linen for cross stich before, then start with about a 26 count and use an unbleached or off white (especially if you are going for an "antique" look). Alternatively, you could go ultra modern and use a coloured fabric.

If you decide to draw your own motifs or bands, then all you need is some graph paper! Draw your motifs on the graph paper (use and stitch from there (as you would a chart).

If you decide to use other motifs, you can just copy them onto your graph paper.

Use the graph paper as your design tool - tape bits together or cut it to meet what you are looking for, and then you can keep drawing on it until you find a design that is pleasing to your eye.

I hope that this helps (and I'll find out what I did with my samplers article!!)

Megan McConnell
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks Ladies!

Tammy, I did a search and so much stuff came back it was crazy. That is why I posted, I thought maybe someone might have designed their own.

Hey Megan! Thanks so much for the info! I have been cross stitching for quite some time now, since I was a little girl. I am a fan of antique roadshow and you see them now and again that were done by a young girl. I think it will be a fun project, and using the graph paper is a very good tip. I use graph paper to design my hatbands that I bead.

I will be looking forward to seeing your articles!

Thanks again ladies! Connie

~anonymous~
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Connie - glad to help. I love antique samplers as well and my own favorites are the "working" samplers that are not just cross stitch.

When you're done, please post a picture!

Megan McConnell
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Well, I would plan on seeing any photos soon! I have several projects I really need to get done! I seem to never be able to start something and finish it at one time though...I get too bored! Connie

~anonymous~
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Nah - you're a typical embroiderer! I have so many projects on the go it's not funny! Hope to see maybe the design then?

Megan McConnell
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
As soon as I get something decided I will let you know! I have a blanket to get pieced for my grandaughter and it will be off to my moms. She has a long arm quilting machine so that makes it easy on me. I just need to add borders and I will be done with that. Then I have a hatband to make for my dad and a bracelet for my sister that I just have to get finished! Maybe then I will think about the sampler! Connie

~anonymous~
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Megan, did you find your article?

~anonymous~
Gecko
Gecko
You can create a pattern on your computer.

Go to start>Programs>Accessories>Paint
Go to File>Save As (type in your file name)Click Save leave as 24 bitmap
Now set up your canvas
Go to View>Zoom>Custom>slect 800% option>then OK
Go to View>Zoom>Show Grid
Now you have a blank canvas

Select pencil feature and create your image using the collor box (just click on each box with the color you want.

Once finished
Copy and paste your image
using Select tool click and drag over the image. Go to edit menu and select Copy. Go to Edit menu again and select Paste.

Last edited by rdywenur; 07/06/09 09:59 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
To create a sampler on paper. I would go buy some graf paper and colored pencils. Then just start designing. You can find designs and incorporate what you like best using a bit of this and a bit of that.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks rdywenur....I have yet to even get started but have been thinking about it alot and checked some books out of the library for ideas.

~anonymous~
Gecko
Gecko
I did find a pattern for my flamingo. (see cross-stichers-club dot com) Lots of free patterns.

Gecko
Gecko
Your welcome. I have always wanted to make a sampler but can never find the right one. Either it includes the alphabet and numbers which mine must have but then either the border or the other stuff on it is not what I want. So one day I hope to just put it on paper and sketch out exactly what mine should be like. The other problem is the scale and fitting it all in to size.

Last edited by rdywenur; 07/09/09 08:24 AM.
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I will check the cross stitchers club out. Thanks for the suggestion.

~anonymous~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.