logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
Hey everyone, I've missed you! Have been (and am currently) researching diagnosed mental disorders among teen girls and am very interested in hearing from those of you who may have some experience in this area. I am specifically interested in hearing from educators and parents with opinions on how these issues are met with in public school systems.

Due to what's been going on with my beautiful daughter I have become jaded and uber cynical with regards to how these kids are treated.

FYI: I graduated highschool in 1985 when succumbing to a disorder "was not an option." So I am extremely familiar with the generational gap view of the issue. I'd like to concentrate on the here and now and current stigmatization issues.

Everyone have a wonderful day! ;-)

Gina Cowley, Women's Issues Editor
Women's Issues
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Please try to get information on the missing young girl in the Philadelphia area. The police waited too long to begin looking for her and are blaming it on a language barrier with her Spanish speaking foster mom. The missing girl is autistic and bipolar.

The mom has made the media aware that she did convey that the girl had mental issues (not emotional issues which the police claim and made them treat her as a typical teen runaway). According to the mom they didn't even want to take the photo of the daughter that she tried to supply It was nearly 48 hours before the police began a real search. As far as I know she has been missing for nearly a week now.

Having watched my mom's struggles with my autistic brother, too often it is suggested that they are emotional children or children with behavioral problems, not children with mental disorders or disabilities. How much education does it take for us to recognize the mentally disabled and treat them appropriately? Why is this struggle the hardest with the people that are supposed to be advocates for children, schools, other parents, pediatricians and many levels of our community services?

It is a shame that disabled children and their families become victims of this discrimination.

Can't wait to read your story. Please post a link in Daughters when you are done with it and I'll also add it to my article on Daughters and autism.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.