Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My recent article on a form of Tibetan Buddhist yoga called yantra yoga got me thinking about this question. Many people are now practicing yoga in the West, and other forms of 'contemplative' exercise like Tai Chi. These forms were all originally created as complements to spiritual practice. So I am wondering, do you consider your yoga practice, or any other form of exericise, a part of your spirituality? Does it help you experience the present moment better, or help you to calm yourself in a way that helps you find your spiritual center?

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I consider it to be more exercise than spiritual, but I think the two tie together. The whole "your body is a temple" type of idea...

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yea, that sounds similar to how I have always tended to view it - that taking care of my body is an important part of taking care of myself, and therefore sort of indirectly spiritual, in that we experience all of our life, including our spirituality, at least partly through our bodies. But Tibetan yantra yoga, and kundalini yoga in the Indian traditions, are interesting variations on this - the poses are actually meant to trigger openings in the chakras and related channels, providing 'doorways' into profound spiritual realizations. And in some karate forms that emphasize Zen, being one with the movement is also considered a spiritual doorway in and of itself, which I can also relate to.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
M
Shark
Shark
M
I began yoga for its physical benefits but think I have stayed with it for its spiritual benefits. Yoga has definitely helped me to slow down and discover moments of inner stillness that indeed feel like the doorway to the divine.

Martha McKinnon

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.