logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
wall Hi, Can anyone tell me exactly what " DO NOT USE IN CHILDRENS SLEEPWEAR" means. I have bought several pieces of fabric and found this warning printed on it, mainly Daisy Kingdom. I only usually make baby quilts these days, and wanted to use some of this fabric for quilts. It all has a child theme to the pattern, so i don't understand what it can actually be used for. If anyone has any ideas about this I would be really grateful. Olivier111

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I think most often that means the fabric isn't flame retardant. There was a safety ruling years ago that children's sleepwear must be flame retardant, made after several fires in which children died from flames and from smoke inhalation.

You can use the fabric for clothing, assumably most children aren't unattended for long periods in case of house fire and parents are sleeping. You can use it for blankets, toys, etc., just not for sleepwear.

Last edited by sara1955; 05/13/09 10:44 AM.
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Sara is right, it's because it's not flame retardant. But haven't you wondered why they haven't come up with a way to add the retardant at home. The sleepwear you purchase has been treated, but losses some during each wash and aren't flame retardant long before they are discarded. Think about adding something like conditioner and have flame retardant bedding as well as keeping the sleepwear safer.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
OP Offline
HI, THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR REPLIES. THIS IS WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SAID. In regards to your inquiry, we have the notice "Do not use in children's
sleepwear" on all our fabric as a precaution to our consumers. Our fabric
is not treated with flame retardant and therefore does not meet the U.S.
Consumer Product Safety Commissions guidelines for children's sleepwear.
The fabric is fine to use for blankets, quilts, sheets, etc.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me.
I DID READ ON THE INTERNET THAT YOU CAN ADD CONDITIONER AND THIS HELPS WITH FLAMEPROOFING IT. WOULD EITHER OF YOU PERSONALLY USE THE FABRIC FOR QUILTS.

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Yes, I would use the fabric for quilts. None of the other fabrics you can purchased are treated either, so they all present the same problem. I think I will check more into the flameproofing. I could never understand why 'sleepwear' was the target for flame-proofing when there are times when children are at the same or greater risk. (ie. Being awake and playing with matches.)

All of this became effective after my children were children, but of course, now I worry about the grandkids.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Gecko
Gecko
I would (and do) use the fabrics for quilts. And other things smile

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.