logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bjork Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!
Haven't been here in a while...
Anyway, to start out the story, I have had the whole spectrum of Eating Disorders for about 16 years, mostly Anorexia Nervosa. Thanks to residential treatment, I am at a normal weight now, but still struggle with eating. I have basically the same thing every day, won't have certain things, make "special" meals only for myself, etc. but I am years and years better than I was before treatment.

To make a long story short, I now have two nieces, ages one-and-a-half, and almost 4. It's really the four year old that I am concerned about. She may seem young, but is smart and picks up on what her Auntie does. It's terribly apparent. A few times, while eating with her someone would ask why she didn't finish her food and she would say "Aunt Sunshine didn't finish her food"... I would usually try and finish it with her b/c I felt so bad.
She often tells me she is not pretty. She's a gorgeous child, and so is her sister! And they're both so smart! How can I make it so that they don't turn out like me? I know, I try not to have "behaviors" around them and whatnot, but it's hard...

Bjork

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
What a wonderful post, Bjork! How these little girls must love their Aunt Sunshine.

Are you still seeing a therapist for your eating disorders? I would start there, because this person would be well-equipped to help you make some very individual choices about your own behavior. Likewise, s/he would be able to say, "Bjork, you have a healthy outlook and are a good example for these children now!"

Yes, we want to pay attention to ourselves and live healthfully so we will be a good example to the innocents. When they are older, they will be your companions in good eating, and you will enjoy your meals together. I know this from experience. There were/are a lot of eating disorders in our family. One sister died with bulimia, one was depressed and overweight, and I was overweight for many years with severe co-morbidities. The aunts, OMG, every time these large women looked at any of us, there was a comment on our weight problems! Yes, we do want to stop all that nonsense here and now. The beauty you see in your nieces is a reflection of yourself. The love, the same.

Now I am slimming, nearly normal weight after pretty radical surgery, and it gladdens my heart that my son (who was a roly-poly pre-teen) is as attendant to his nutrition as I am to mine. We used to have our little feeding frenzies. Now, that's not even a thought.

Never give up. I think the love you have for these little girls will be just the thing to keep you moving forward with your own struggles. What a lovely thing to do for them: find the examples you want to give them, and reinforce your own healthy behavior so that you'll have a long life to spend with them.

Sounds like a win:win proposition to me.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.