Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Bob and I recently watched all six episodes of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency on HBO's "in demand" service. They were really good! He was quite surprised by them. He thought I was going to make him watch a "sex in the city" type of show - he had now idea it was more of a down to earth, see a new culture show.

It is all set in Botswana which is at the southern end of Africa, just north of South Africa. Several of the episodes involve border crossings into South Africa. The heroine of the story is a large-sized female detective whose father left her a lot of cattle. She is divorced from a nasty trumpet-playing adulterous guy and trying to make it on her own. Her secretary / helper is also female.

Is anybody watching this? I love learning more about Botswana with each episode!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
this sounds pretty interesting.

Gecko
Gecko
That sounds super interesting. I don't have cable - wonder if there is any other way I can watch these? I'll have to look around...

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I actually didn't watch them after seeing the Minghella film (which was the first one). I have read all the books though and they're great.

Gecko
Gecko
Yep! I saw that the series is based on the books by Alexander McCall Smith. I'll have to pick up the books since I won't be able to see the show until it comes out on DVD. *Unless* I can convince the hubby, who has cable, to let me watch them on demand - if he has on demand service. hmmmmm I'll have to ask...

Last edited by Jeanne - African Culture; 05/07/09 04:20 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jeanne they are definitely coming out on DVD so you can get a cheap NetFlix account for under $10 and watch them that way!

They were originally on HBO here.

There are interesting commentaries of the culture of Botswana, they have the beautiful landscapes and also dirt street towns, they talk about issues of the area like AIDS and carjackings. So it's not a sanitized version of the world - but it's also very hopeful. They have the language and dance and song in there too.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
oooo YAY! I already have a Netflix account. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. smile

J
Shark
Shark
J
Read a review on the British Television site No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I just picked up the first book No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. I'm really enjoying it - almost finished. I would love to see a series on DVD. I'll have to look for it.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I watched the first show. I loved it. It was funny, touching, interesting, but it was sooooo loooooong. LOL. Jill Scott was amazing, but I knew she could act from Why Did I Get Married. She's very talented.

Our DVR died, so when we get it fixed I'll catch the entire season. I'm sure they'll show them again.

It reminded me of the African films I've watched at film festivals, but haven't seen in a long time.

I really don't like mysteries unless the show is very, very unusual like this show and of course Monk.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Love, love, love this show. When this show comes on I grab a cup of tea and hunker down for a good story! I love that the social dilemmas are resolved in a peaceful manner, usually. And I love Jill Scott - she is a breath of fresh air....

Editor, Soapmaking site at Bellaonline
Soapmaking Site at Bellaonline

Soap making kits, DIY bath and body kits and customizable labels.
PerfumeKits.com
G
Shark
Shark
G
Okay, I know I am late to the party here, but I LOVED the series and pine for it to start again. I had not read the books beforehand, but I have read two since the series ended and I enjoyed them as well.

Both the series and the books paint these seemingly simplistic characters against this beautiful backdrop but you find as you go along the characters have many layers. Jill Scott and Anika Noni Rose were really amazing.

Coffee and Chocolate--A Healthy Indulgence

Gayle Santana
Coffee Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  African Dawn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.