logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#511605 04/10/09 10:43 PM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I've been thinking a long time about being a professional coach but I am not sure what kind of coach it is.

I want to niche it pretty tight and coach people either in the middle of divorcing, or are divorced. I would like to work with parents helping them co parent together, and also individually just helping people get on with their life.

What would you call this?

What is required to becoming a coach?

I have a bachelors degree in business... not exactly the proper credentials for this type of coaching. I could probably easily coach people in business, but that isn't really ideal for me.

I would love to give seminars, talk to groups, etc.. I feel like I need a lot of training and experience to do this. I am getting ready to start my Masters degree in Human Environmental Science with a concentration in Family Financial Planning and counseling.

I am also going to start a radio show where I will interview a lot of people.

I feel like within two years I should be ready to be a coach.

Am I on the right path?

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Stephanie:

Congratulations on your decision to pursue coaching!

Yes you are on the right path. You have a desire to help people and you�ve already decided on a specialty. Further you know the types of programs you�d like to offer�workshops, radio programs etc.

Currently there is no governing body that is policing the coaching industry, certifying professionals etc. However most of the life coaches that I�ve interviewed, including those who already have graduate degrees have been through some sort of formalized life coach training. I recommend formalized training in that it can give you not only confidence, but also support and a vast array of resources.

Have you done a google search for �divorce coach�? I�m sure there are plenty of coaches out there with this specialty. Just go to their websites, look at their programs and their credentials. See where they received their training. Don�t forget to bookmark the site so you can return.

Also go to amazon and search under �coping with divorce.� Look at the author bios for these books, go to their websites etc.

Those who are already doing what you do, can lead you to where you want to go.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Last edited by leahmullen; 04/15/09 10:28 AM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Thanks!

I am definitely going to pursue training. I am second guessing grad school though. I am happy to have been accepted but I have found other training that might get me where I want to be faster. I don't know, I have until fall to figure it out.

In the meantime my radio show starts. Divorce Talk Radio Live.

I'm really excited. I have booked up interviews SO FAST it is amazing.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Wow! That is exciting. I'll have to tune in.

Regarding grad school, can you go on a part time basis? It never hurts to have a "Plan B." Life coaching is so new, employers are more familiar with the graduate degree than life coach training. The graduate degree would increase your marketability.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Please do come by and listen. I will feel horrible if my first guest has no listeners. Divorce Talk Radio Live I hope as many people as possible will come by.... I plan to mention BellaOnline a lot.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Stephanie,

I may not be able to tune in tonight--I have yet to catch any blog talk radio show when it actually airs, but I will be sure to listen later and add a comment. I just favorited your program on my account.

Good Luck!!!!!

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.