logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#511137 04/09/09 10:33 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Odlums, the well-known Irish flour mills has produced a very charming booklet that arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. Called [i][/i]Baking this Easter[i][/i], by Catherine Leyden, it is a 16-page booklet with a nice glossy color cover. One of the recipes, the Simnel Cake, is a favorite in our family. You can visit the Odlums site online to request this little book. Their were two 50c coupons, one for Odlums Cream or Self Raising Flour and one for Shamrock Products, which would carry the raisins, currants, and other baking delights. Odlums is a household name, and this is a nice Easter gift for its customers. One of the most important articles I read this week spoke about the psychic need for people to maintain their traditions and customs even though economic circumstances may have suffered. The Easter treats from Odlums will surely help you to celebrate the season of renewal in a special way this year. Cheers, Mary Irish Culture, Host

Last edited by Mary Irish Culture Host; 04/09/09 10:44 PM.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Mary, I checked the site. I love the Easter cake with the little bird's nest on top.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Yes, it's very cute. I love that you could make such a lovely little nest with a bit of shredded wheat and some easy ingredients. I'm so glad to have the chance to do a bit of baking for some little ones at Easter. Forsooth, the sweet tooth! I'm working on a Simnel Cake recipe. My mother had one; there's a very nice one on the Odlum's site and elsewhere on the web, but I'm tweaking them a bit in the interest of authenticiy. Authenticity (adn economy!) here is that I'm going to make it with what I have on hand in the house. It is said that the Simnel Cakes were made of the remnants of the dried fruits and nuts from the winter's larder, and the servants made cakes from fine flour and these remnants to bring home for Mother's Day (Palm Sunday in Ireland), and which were enjoyed for Easter. Wish me luck!

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I didn't sign up for a book - did they mail it from Ireland or do they have an outlet here?

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
The one I have came directly from Crumlin in Dublin. I'll see if they have anymore. Odlum's is a real staple in Irish cupboards. I love the brown bread mix.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Do they have an outlet here? I see you are from "up north" and there are usually more opportunities to sell specialty items there. (I remember, I'm originally from NY myself.)

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Food Ireland is the mailorder source I use for Irish food products in the US.

Some of the local markets carry Irish foods from time to time, but it's not something I can count on.

I just got two big bags of brown bread mix by UPS today. One loaf is already half consumed, along with a quarter pound of butter and a pot of marmalade. Teenagers!<G>

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 04/15/09 05:08 PM.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
YUM!

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.