Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Granny - that's great news! Take it one day at a time!

Dianne - Those side effects sound awful!! It really does sound like you're addicted to it, if those things start to happen when you're not getting your daily dose!

The key is to drop your intake *slowly* and not to go cold turkey. Right now you're drinking 4-8 ounces a day. So focus on the 4 side. Get yourself to the point where you're drinking ONLY four ounces a day. Since that's into your range already, you should be able to do that without any trouble.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I'm definitely going to try that because I hate being addicted to caffeine.... especially now that I'm working out and trying to really get healthy.
I've been like that since college when the diet was pizza and soda. (I could never eat another pepperoni pizza after I graduated, I'm glad that wasn't addictive...lol)

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Parakeet
Parakeet
I quit coffee a couple of months ago, and it's the best thing I have ever done for myself!

I was getting terrible mood swings - particularly gloomy ones. I would get them around my monthly cycle, along with a horrible headache. I don't get PMS symptoms, but since I'm 46 I thought that I was starting to have hormonal imbalances. But, when I noticed the headache coming on twice while having my morning coffee, I thought I'd give stopping the coffee a try. Boy did it do wonders! After, of course, 4 days of terrible body aches - like I'd been beaten. But I drank tons of water to flush out the many toxins besides caffeine that coffee has in it, to quicken the process.

I'm not a soda drinker, and only usually had the one cup of coffee a day, but after I did some research I realized just the one cup was causing adrenal fatigue. It stimulates the "fight or flight" response in the adreanal glands, which is why you get that rush. I feel great now, with consistent energy throughout the day. Just so I didn't miss out on my morning routine, I started brewing a cup of Beyond Coffee, because the oils even in decaf are bad for the stomach. Beyond Coffee is simply roasted barley, rye and chicory and tastes very much like coffee.

Shannon

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL it is very true that it's good that pizza isn't addictive Dianne! Let us know how you're doing and we can help out with the caffeine part!!

Shannon that is awesome that you were able to break that habit! It is amazing what aches we accept as "part of aging" which are really driven by our food choices. You never really realize how badly you are feeling until you start eating differently!

I have to agree with you on decaf coffee. It know it's critical for some people as part of the "weaning" process so I generally hesitate to speak out against decaf coffee - but I drink herbal tea myself. That is very calming for me in the evening. In the morning I drink my EAS protein shake and that is enough to get me going.

Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Lisa,
Is there any particular type of herbal tea that you enjoy?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I quit coffee a year or so ago without ill effects. I drink green tea (I know that it has something that is similar to caffiene so maybe that's why) I feel better and I know that green tea is much better for me. In the evening I like to drink camomile or some other caffeine-free herbal tea.

easter queen Yay! This was my 4000th post. smile

Last edited by Lynne Chapman; 04/13/09 09:06 AM.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Congratulations on the 4000th post!!! I'm diligently working my way to 800 :-)

I think I may hit the health food store today to see what they have.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
I've "weaned" myself off a couple of times, but always went back. I really should just quick caffeine completely because by day 2 I'm nauseous, dizzy, with a monstrous headache and in a really bad mood. By day 7, I've usually recovered a bit. I've wanted to go off again but the side effects are horrible!!!

I'm better though, I use to drink a 2 liter bottle plus of caffeine (soda and tea, no coffee) a day, now I have to drink anywhere from 4-8 ounces.

If anyone knows how to get weaned off without the side effects, PLEASE PLEASE share....

Maybe the best way is to decrease you daily intake the first week and then to slowly incorporate decaf with reg and each time increasing to a bit more decaf till finally it would be all decaf.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I took me three or four tries to get off caffeine. After college and grad school I was totally addicted and did quit cold turkey. Went through the headaches which really stunk. I find now if I have a soda after roughly 5pm I'm wired until 1am or later. I really try not to do that.

My favorite herbal tea is peppermint which I make with 1/2 water, 1/2 skim milk and splenda. I'm a tea latte (chai) type of gal. I also am drinking Good Earth Decaf Chai made latte style which is super yummy. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Just a heads up - green tea DOES have caffeine in it - it's just a lower caffeine level than black tea does.

I have an article about caffeine here -

Tea and Caffeine

Green tea has more caffeine than Coke does smile It is lower than "regular black tea" though, and lower than coffee. So it's all relative in the world of caffeine.

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.