Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508263 04/02/09 05:15 PM
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before - I went back ten pages through the forum and couldn't find anything...

Does anyone have any experience with the 'permanent makeup' tattooing? My situation is this: I have very, very pale lips. They are basically the same color as my skin, sometimes paler if I have a little bit of a tan. If I don't wear lipstick every day, people are always asking me if I feel all right, or telling me I look tired, or whatever. But I hate wearing lipstick every day, and since I can't even find any of the long-wearing stuff in a color I like, I have to reapply it all day.

What I want to do is to get my lips tattooed in the same color as my lips, only a shade or two darker. Just enough that they don't look so pale and/or just blend into my face.

I've seen some people who have had the permanent makeup done and they look great... but I've seen a lot of others were it either simply doesn't look natural or it looks really bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice for me? Is it even realistic to expect that I can get the exact shade I want? I have tats already, and so I know that a skilled artist can get really great color, but I'm looking for an almost neutral color - is that even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Mary Ellen,

I've only known a few women who went for permanent cosmetics. One of the biggest hesitations around this for a lot of people is finding people who not only have excellent tattoo technique, but who have dermatological and makeup training to actually produce a realistic effect.

Done wrong, permanent cosmetic tattoos are like having crayon on your face that can't wash off. And there's no way to really test this sort of thing out before committing.

I've only known women who had eyeliner done or had some sort of tattooing done for eyebrows. I've not met anyone who went for a full lip coloring.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I had a patient once, back while I was a hospital nurse, that had eyeliner and lips done. I was amazed when I got her from the recovery room after surgery and she was fully made up. I soon realized that her make up was permanent. Hers was beautiful, very well coordinated with her natural coloring. She had dark hair and eyes, so her lips were a muted shade of burgundy. Her eyeliner was dark, but understated. It really got me thinking about it, but I would be petrified of a mistake on my face. And then there is also the pain of needles in your lips and eyelids, ouch!

Elephant
Elephant
Actually, Helen, cosmetic tattooing is the only form where anesthetic is used. Tattooing along the edge of the eye is assisted with a topical/local anesthetic or you'd never be able to hold your face still or keep from squinching up your eyes.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
When the local person hee does lips, she sends you to the dentist next door for a dental block -- then she proceeds. Sheryl

Sheryl Tilley
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I have a friend that does permanent make up. She is very artistic, so her work is very good. Those of her clients who want natural looking color get that and those who want darker, get that.

She has repaired mistakes (by others) by inserting another color on top of the mistake, She uses white or natural skin color to in effect, erase it.

She uses a topical anestesia and a glass of wine. smile

Last edited by Lynne Chapman; 04/12/09 06:39 PM.
Elephant
Elephant
Lynn, you can't tattoo lighter colors over darker and "erase" them. It's like watercoloring... it might make it lighten up a bit but the darker colors will always show through. The only way to erase tattooing is with a laser which breaks up the ink molecules so that the body's lymphatic system can carry the particles away.

And if she's actually giving people wine to help them through the process, she needs to lose her license. That's entirely inappropriate.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Hmmm. I stand corrected.
It must have been an illusion.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
There's one I know of here in Prescott, AZ that does the wine thing. I didn't realize that was a no-no. Sheryl

Sheryl Tilley
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
I think it probably depends on the situation. Alcohol makes you bleed more, I think, so most tattoo artists won't do a tattoo if you are drunk (also because you will most likely regret it when you sober up). But I think if it's just a glass of wine in a sort of social way, before the procedure, that's not that big a deal.

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.