logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504727 03/23/09 04:28 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
My husband and I would like to start our own business. It's a laboratory-type service which would require some expensive equipment and a facility in which to house it.

Here's the sticky part.....Five years ago, we went through a personal bankruptcy. We haven't aquired any more debt since then. Credit scores are average (~700).

Would we stand a chance of getting a small business loan?

Michele

We journey now into the unknown. Does anyone have a map?
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Michele - I know several people who went through bankruptcy and who then could get loans. That being said, the more you can do up front to prove you will be successful, the better. Is there anything at all you can do now to get things rolling, to start to get clients lined up?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
The rough part about this type of lab (DNA analyis) is that it takes about 2 years to earn the needed accreditations and it's hard to get contracts if you're not accredited. It's kind of a "catch 22".

I asked this question to my cousin, who's in commercial banking, and he said that I would not be able to get an SBA loan because they are government-backed and the government won't back you once you've filed for bankruptcy. He said we might just have to partner with someone who could secure such a loan or find an angel investor.

Michele

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's interesting, surely there are other kinds of loans that don't require that government backing?

What if you did other types of related work while you were building up the accreditation? I used to work for biotech companies so I've been around the expensive machines and scientists and all of that. I do know it's pricey. But maybe you can start with cheaper tests that don't require DNA, to build your market recognition and client base and ad contacts ... that will then give you the income stream to expand and buy the more expensive equipment.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Yeah, that's what we're thinking too. Buy a used or referbished instrument and start small doing work that doesn't necessarily require the accreditation. My husband is a pro at building websites and we should be able to get customers that way.

We'll just see what we can do.

Thanks for the response!

Michele

Moderated by  Angel - Business Coach 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.