Next Thread
Print Thread
#510453 04/08/09 02:33 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
With the arrival of spring (we in Seattle wondered if temps would ever get above 45), everyone is racing to fill our gardens with all things yummy and lovely. Others, however, are ripping out plants which are either creeping under (or over) our fences or have spread all over our yards. What plants do you know as being "impolite"? What I mean is what plants should a homeowner definately put in a container? Bamboo, mint and strawberries come to mind as they tend to be invasive. Any others you would recommend restricting to a container?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A few others might be day lilies (depending on how much room you have); Bishop's weed; plants that grow via rhizomes (like irises), daisy-type flowers such as rudbeckia, monarda, gaillardia, coneflowers, and common daisies; sweet potato vine. And there are certainly some herbs (as you note in terms of mint). Hope this helps! Virginia

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Hi, I'm new to container gardening. I just want to know about the ratio of brown and green to make home made compost. If the compost dries what steps shall I take?

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I think I should make a new post for the above question.

@Lisa Plancich: I can add another name -'sweet pea'. They are extremely invasive. Within few months they were every where in my garden.

Sarina

organic gardening

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Good day and all and all,

Now here is an interesing take on a standard subject - and in good time too for those who are moving away from winter and with spring sort of beckoning - what tidying up are you doing?

It is funny to speak about etiquette to plants per se as they just do what they do best with the materials they have on hand (like sunshine and warmth and protection and water) ... and that is to grow.

Now if they spill over, invade, overwhelm or weedle along, well I guess it's up to us to cajole and maintain.

I wonder - do you think we only need to use containers for plants that invade or naturally have aggressive root systems?

Let us know what you think. Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.