Next Thread
Print Thread
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Do people have huge selections of dishes, cookware, utensils, etc? My mother and sister have huge kitchens with many deep shelves just packed with plates, serving bowls, stuff for entertaining, several arrays of silverware, glasses and mugs galore!

In our RV we don't have the luxury of being able to have a large collection of dishware, so we've had to narrow down what we keep to things that are constantly kept in use.

For tupperwares: we're down to three large bowl like ones, four tall ones, and three small bowl like ones. These are also the bowls we eat out of, so we just use them and wash them and put them back on the shelf.

Dishes, besides using the tupperwares: We also have four Melamine plates, a thermos, two wine glasses, a stackable set of plastic drinking cups, a shotglass, one plastic measuring cup, three travel mugs, and one ceramic mug.

Utensils - we have a set of Lexan plastic silverware (dan likes to eat from plastic, so i have adapted). Two large plastic serving plates. We also have a can opener, old fashioned hand mixer, wine opener, four kinds of preparing knives, a whisk, a food scissors, a wok-like frying pan and one saucepan. One plastic collander.

Outside the RV I keep a crockpot and a Foreman Grill on the picnic table for outdoor cooking. Inside we just use the microwave.

I am constantly renegotiating what we need/use or not. I might get rid of the whisk, one or two of the knives and the colander. We don't use the stovetop at campgrounds, but i am holding onto the frypan and saucepan for the rare occasions that we are boondocking and will have to use the propane stove.

It feels nice to get things down to just exactly what we need.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/05/09 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow that is great Jilly!

I know that some people have billions of kitchen devices and it's a source of pride for them. However, I have talked with many well known chefs (a nice benefit of being a writer at wine events). Often they'll say that the real talent is cooking with the simplest tools. It is about taking fresh, wonderful ingredients, a simple knife, and adding in some fresh herbs. So you're all set!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, how is your kitchen? Do you have extras of stuff, and lots of entertaining type dishware?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Cutlery wise we really have cut down quite a bit. Every time the BigBrothers BigSisters shows up we try to remove things we no longer use. So we have a set of 8 forks/knives/etc. We have a few spoons, ladle, measuring spoons, and a good set of knives. We do have 4 "oriental" soup spoons which I suppose are unusual but I love those for miso soup or egg drop soup, with their big bowls and ceramic smoothness.

We've really whittled down mugs. We used to have tons. Now I have 3 and Bob has 4, we like different types of mugs. We do have a number of glasses, we use those quite a lot. We could probably whittle them down a bit - but on the other hand we often run out of glasses because we don't do dishes often. Same for plates, bowls and saucers.

What else ... pots and pans. We've given a lot of those away but we do have a number left. Probably 10 of various shapes and sizes. Bob does a lot of cooking and often he needs the right sized pan for the job - a tiny sauce pan for example so the sauce doesn't burn, or a large frying pan. Still I think we could probably do away with one or two and he'd be fine.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.