Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508365 04/03/09 07:49 AM
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Do you cringe at a comma splice? Does a misspelled word make you flinch? Does it make you crazy to see "choose" instead of "chose" in a sentence? There are a million of them - feel free to vent here.

Last edited by LM - Writing for Children; 04/03/09 07:37 PM.

Lucinda Moriarty

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Oooh, you asked for it! wink Here are a few of my least-favorite things: split infinitives, misuse of apostrophe's (that bit done on purpose to illustrate!), your/you're mixups. I'll stop there lest I sound grammatically obsessed.

Barbara Sharpe

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
The "its/it's", "your/you're" and "their/there/they're" mixups drive me up the wall!

I remember when I was in high school and a boyfriend broke up with me. I was so angry at him that I took his break up note and corrected everything in it grammatically. He messed up everywhere on the "their" usage. Boy did that p*** him off, LOL!

As a Southerner I keep trying to figure out how "y'all" should be written. Personally I think my way makes sense. It is a shortened version of "you all", but I see lots of people writing "ya'll". Of course, since neither one is actually proper, I suppose this is really a moot point. grin

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
It's kind of funny though...it's so easy to catch when others make the mistake of their/there - write/right - to/too etc... I can always catch them, when it's my own writing, it's so hard to catch - no matter how many times I read and edit. I think I've caught them all and then I'll look a week or month later and notice the ones that I missed.
grin

So with the many errors of my ways, I really can't say I have any writing pet peeves. I work with a group of people, however, who will notice EVERY "i" that I don't dot or EVERY "t" that I don't cross. So much so that they totally don't pay attention to the subject matter because they are too busy trying to get back at me for mistakes so they can have a "gotcha moment" to they point out to me. Not a lot of errors mind you, they are just looking for ONE!

Since I'm an editor I do my absolute, absolute best to catch mistakes, read-edit-read-edit. If I ever write a book - I will definitely need another editor to edit my edits smile

I have a friend that can NEVER put the right "there" it used to drive me crazy to the point I just wanted to scream at her, but then I put it in prospective and now...

I can definitely see why we would want the writing in children's books to be error-free. That takes me back to the read-edit-read-edit thought wink

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I can't stand the use of the word 'gotten' when it should be got - I know technically it's old English, but it's my pet peeve LOL. It just sounds so out of place in a sentence.
There are a few things actually LOL, especially to do with spelling and use of certain words.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I hear ya I HATE incorrect use of the word "there". I also have a thing about using apostrophes correctly lol. And my latest pet peeve is the mis-spelling of the word "rogue". The number of times I've seen it spelt as "rouge" recently makes me wince to think of!

The other thing I loathe is people putting an "i" into a word where there isn't one, for example in poisonous and grievous. I've heard both of those pronounced with an "i" just before the "ous" even though they aren't spelt like that. And to hear people say "mischeevious". Enough said.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I wonder if the "rogue/rouge" might be a simple mistype, though?

I know I am constantly misspelling "myself" as "myslef" - not because I don't know how to spell the word, but just because my fingers for some reason constantly want to type it that way.

I never learned how to type properly, I just kind of taught myself (there's that word again). I also play piano, and so my fingers have lots of "memory" built into them - they kind of go to these natural patterns while I'm typing if I get going too fast. I think that is what keeps happening with "myslef" - my fingers remember that pattern for some reason instead of the correct way to spell it.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
If you hate homonyms try www.AutoCrit.com
The homonym highlighter is part of a paid membership but you can scroll to the bottom of the opening page for a free trial. Then enter your sample and click on homonym highlighter then on analyze. And if you like it send an email telling her that her avid fan Jude sent you there.
I find having AutoCrit among the best returns for my dollars ever!

I especially hate the homonym triples like
they're there their
aisle isle I'll
rain rein reign
etc

cheers

Last edited by heyyou; 04/03/09 06:36 PM.

HeyYou
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My peeve is 'lose' and 'loose'. Or how about this:
When someone needs to write the word 'so' -- and they write soooooo...
YIKES!
Sheryl

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
How about when someone sends you an email or a note, but it is written in "text-speak" form:

how ru? i m fine. cya.

It is just like fingernails screeching across a chalkboard.

Lucinda Moriarty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AM Farbizio, Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.