Print Thread
#389692 03/08/08 09:23 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Newsweek has a great article on this topic -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
This is so strange, Lisa, because I just started writing an article about this today and had no clue about what article smile

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/08/08 09:36 PM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Shark
Shark
I spent my early childhood in NY and we ate Chinese take-away at least once a week. I remember thinking when we moved to NC that the Chinese food here was weird and different somehow. I wanted to go back home where they had real Chinese food and real pizza :-). I guess none of it is real, huh?

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Nope pizza is an American creation too smile

I am sure Mexicans laugh at what we serve at "Mexican Restaurants" ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
OK, I just read the article. From what Ms. Lee is saying, it sounds like the food may not be Chinese, but is is still Chinese-American. I mean, it's not like some Italian guy put together some dishes and tried to pass them off as Chinese cuisine. Chinese immigrants took their own dishes and tweaked them to appeal to the taste buds of their non-Chinese customers. I'd say that is American ingenuity at its finest!

Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Nope pizza is an American creation too

Yeah, I learned that a few years' ago from one of those Food Network specials laugh I still think of NY-style pizza as the real thing, though.

Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
Gecko
Gecko
I meant that article, not what article lol My forum-writing skills need some improvement.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
After growing up in NJ and working in NY and now living in in the south, I can totally relate to the pizza and Chinese food thing. There are however, several wonderful authentic restaurants in NY. My grandfather used to work in the city and take us to an amazing dim sum place where they only speak Chinese. I'll have to find out from him where it is.

And although my grandmother cooked authentic Chinese dishes, on this site I post many Americanized versions simply because I feel that most readers may not enjoy the unusual ingredients nor be able to find them locally.

Last edited by Lila_Chinese_Food; 08/22/11 07:34 PM.

Lila Voo, Chinese Food Editor
Chinese Food Site
Chinese Food Forum
B
B
[quote=Lila_Chinese_Food]After growing up in NJ and working in NY and now living in SC, I can totally relate to the pizza and Chinese food thing. There are however, several wonderful authentic restaurants in NY. My grandfather used to work in the city and take us to an amazing dim sum place where they only speak Chinese. I'll have to find out from him where it is. And although my grandmother cooked authentic Chinese dishes, on this site I post many Americanized versions simply because I feel that most readers may not enjoy the unusual ingredients nor be able to find them locally.[/quote] TY for doing the americanized versions your right the ingredients are way more easy for me to find! my dad lived in korea for 20 years so i cook some of his things still but alot of the items arent at my local grocery store so i have had to order some things online :D

Moderated by  Lila_Chinese_Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.