#491436 02/06/09 08:32 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
This post was originally entitled: "Try and Stop Me (Internal Motivation)" Okay, okay I need to work on my title writing skills blush

Today I'm thinking about passion. What is that one thing, or things that you just ARE GOING TO DO no matter what? For me it�s writing. There are projects that I�m dithering over, that I started and didn�t finish, but I write every day, every single solitary day. I mean every, single solitary day without fail.

Not all of my writing is for publication in fact I�m sure I write the most in my journals I�ve been keeping for the last decade. Someone would have to literally try to stop me from writing--and even then I doubt they�d be successful. It�s something I�ll fight for.

Life coaching is about closing the gap between what you want and what you have. Passion is an internal motivator or fuel that can help you close that gap. Are your goals in alignment with your true passions?

Last edited by leahmullen; 02/06/09 08:56 AM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Oh and I have another passion, reading self-help books. I can search for hours online for books and when I get a new book, I can't wait until I get home to start reading. I've been known to walk down the street reading. But I DO stop at the corner to look for cars before crossing. LOL.

So what are you passionate about? What do you just LOVE to do?

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

U
U
Hello I like this topic. It took me so many years to finally realize you have to follow your dreams and live our true passions. My true passion is to be an entrepreneur and I am well on my way. It really takes you shifting your mindset and your way of thinking. Its funny that I am finding who my true friends are at this time. They dont understand me or get me anymore. I guess it is because, I don't sit around and complain about what I want to do in my life. I just do it. Knowing who you are being is so important. Fight for your passion and live!!!! Nikki Curry-Plus Size Caoch/Image Consultant www.MindBodyImage.com

P
P
ucimaging, You say your passion is to be an entrepreneur. Is your passion more in the entrepreneurship or in the product/service you are providing? In other words, do you just want to sell something or are you committed to a particular product?

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
What I find is that if you DON'T follow your passion there are consequences, you now opportunity costs.

The other day I had this epiphany. When I came to New York in 1993, I wanted to be a writer, but was afraid of this ambition. Also I was afraid of working in a newsroom because I was told in college that journalists could not make mistakes. So I took a job ANY job.

Then recently I started to read a memoir of a woman who worked for the Washington Post and her boss nurtured her!! During my �I�ll take any job days� I wouldn�t say I was nurtured, more like tortured. LOL. I might as well have toughed it out being a 23 year old cub reporter. It really could not have been any worse.

And the sad part is is that I didn�t get a chance to be published in any of those jobs and that�s what I really wanted. Instead I wrote short stories on the side and got published every once in a while in community publications.

I might as well have done what I had a passion for full-time. Telling stories and getting published and dealt with whatever came my way�a mean exacting boss or whatever. The easy way out�taking any job�was not so easy at all in retrospect.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
The sad part is that someone told you that you couldn't make mistakes in the newsroom. Instead of encouraging you to open the door you became afraid to open the door.

I mentioned yesterday to a friend at the writers workshop that I am afraid to put the pencil to the paper. He said I must have met someone in my past who used too much red ink on my papers. That brings to mind when my kids went to school, they were encouraged to write and not worry about the spelling or grammar. But if you're willing and able to write a story, the editor can always clean it up.

When I was a kid, I think I was an extrovert trying to hatch. But to this day I recall several painful events that made me stand back and harden the shell. It took a long time for the shell to break. It doesn't take much to hesitate and miss the opportunity. As the saying goes, "He who hesitates is lost."

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Angie,

So how are you doing with your hesitation toward writing? Is it with all writing or certain types of writing? Because of my early experiences with journalism training, I'm fearful of straight newsreporting, but can flow with fiction, my self help articles, proposal writing etc.

I was reading recently in an old self help book by Elisabeth Towne and she said there are three ways you can deal with circumstances. You can accept them and do nothing. You can work under them or you can overcome them. I wrote under the circumstances, my fear. I worked on fiction and feature articles on the side while I had another job. That's better than nothing at all, but now I'm ready to overcome my fear of mistakes.

Last edited by leahmullen; 03/30/09 10:47 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Leah, to be honest, I write all the time. I journal, I do web pages, I write letters (when I was a kid I had penpals all over the place), I write emails. I think I have more of a fear of researching and putting together an article. I do research as a genealogist so I am not afraid of the research. It's just finding something of interest and then putting it all together.

I notice the editors here write short essays so we're not talking about rocket science.

I'm going to try some of the techniques mentioned in the writer's workshop.

Talking about overcoming fear. Public speaking or being on stage was at one time a horrific ordeal for me. It took a long time and a determination to overcome that. I can talk before an audience now and give a presentation on genealogy or preside over a meeting in a heart beat.

As you mentioned in your note, "...there are three ways you can deal with circumstances. You can accept them and do nothing. You can work under them or you can overcome them" - it's true, you need to work at them and overcome them.

R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
Nature photography is a passion of mine. The weather never matters to me as long as I can go outside with my camera and take pictures!

Reshma Vyas, Home Finance Editor
Home Finance Website
Home Finance Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
That's wonderful. My daughter was a photographer for her high school and college yearbooks. She'd get up at dawn and take photos. I know you must really enjoy doing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.