logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Because most people think having soap in a washer all the time and clean clothes in the dryer (and emptying the lint trap) mean they're clean.... but they're NOT!

Cleaning Your Washer and Dryer

Heather DeGeorge
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I read your article. I only use the bleach dispenser and not the fabric softener. I do notice that the agitator becomes grungy with a build up. Scrub a dub dub, Clean the wash tub...

I do worry about the lint filter on the dryer.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
On the dryer end we do own a long lint snake that we clear out lint from the tubes with. I've heard about fires being started in homes where they let the lint build up.

On the washer side we have a side loading washer which in general stays clean (since the water never "pools" in the bottom) but we do leave the door open half of the time when it's not in use, to keep it airy and dry.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
My husband's grandmother would take the agitator out and prop it up so that it would all dry out. It's funny that you mention leaving the door open.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
On the dryer end we do own a long lint snake that we clear out lint from the tubes with. I've heard about fires being started in homes where they let the lint build up.

On the washer side we have a side loading washer which in general stays clean (since the water never "pools" in the bottom) but we do leave the door open half of the time when it's not in use, to keep it airy and dry.

We have a front-loader and leave the door open ALWAYS. But the gasket DOES need cleaning once/year. Mine happens to get a faint odor to remind me. frown

Heather DeGeorge
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Fresh air seems to be the key!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Here is a link to the Dryer Cleaning kit that Flylady sells (I have no affiliate link to this; I just like to help support Flylady): smile

Dryer Lint Cleaning Kit

Also, great article, Heather!

Last edited by Jilly; 04/08/09 05:17 PM.
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Also, you want to take the dryer vent screen and wipe it off with a dryer sheet. I found this out the hard way one time when a condensor blew and the repairman said it was because the dryer screen was clogged. Taking the lint off of it just isn't enough.

You can test it by pouring water on it. If the screen holds water, it is clogged. Just wipe it with a dryer sheet every couple of times you clean lint off and it will be fine.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Funny is my dryer just died and went to heaven last weekend. We are holding the wake for it on Saturday and services Sunday.

Proud Pagan
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Maureen, that is funny. smile

My dryer is both easy and hard to clean. Since my dryer is the air and a polyester line, I don't have much to actually do about it. smile

I do wipe down my washer a lot with 1:1 vinegar, and sometimes run a vinegar solution and no clothes through the washer itself. Just like with my coffee pot. That dissolves any chemical or mineral deposits that might have built up and makes it both fresh and a little more sanitized.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I read an article the other day about cleaning the washer with bleach. I began doing the bleach wash last so that it would be clean for the next use. We remodeled the kitchen two years ago and now the dryer vent is in an entirely different situation and I feel so much better about it - the distance of the vent from the dryer to the outside is now one foot rather than thirty feet.

J
J
you need to clean out the inside of your dryer once in a while too. they have little brushes you can stick down the vent trap. I had my husband open mine completely up and it was pretty clean. dryer fires from lint is fairly common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.