Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505615 03/26/09 02:45 PM
M
MRS P Offline OP
OP Offline
M
With 1000s of resumes coming in to fill one job, how do you make your resume pop out??? I'm thinking I need to be more creative.

The Gifted and Talented Society
http://www.giftedandtalentedsociety.com/
Sponsored Post Advertisement
MRS P #505670 03/26/09 04:33 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi Mrs. P
Thank you so much for joining our forum. One of the interesting suggestions that I read recently was in regards to resumes and it's true. We've moved into almost a totally electronic age. Something that we have to remember or many people don't know is that when you submit a pretty resume electronically is that it's no longer "pretty" when it gets to the other end. As a matter of fact, with the software we use here, for a while the entire resume was coming out in one big paragraph which made it a beast to try to decipher. So the suggestion was to make it CLEAR not pretty. Speak to the language in the job posting. Of course we don't want to make anything up but the more you "speak" the companies language the better. I hate to use the term here but here goes "buzz" words.
For example if its a payroll job and with your previous employer you did hr and payroll. Play up the payroll part, definitely use the hr piece too (you'll look well rounded), but put an emphasis on what payroll systems you used...any thing that speaks to going above and beyond in payroll. Talk about any training you've taken to enhance your job knowledge. Visit O'net. That site will definitely help a lot.
Make sure that SOMETHING in your resume shows related experience. I had cashier at Taco Bell with no education (nothing against taco bell - just an real life example), apply for a job requiring a master's degree.
But the hiring decision is hard these days, it's an employers market right now.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
M
MRS P Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I know what your talking about. My old neighbor used to be in HR, and she told me, when there are a lot of applicants they would scrutinize for any misspelling or something not lining up. If she would find any of these the resume would go into the circular file. She said. "If people didn't take the time to make sure their resume was perfect. I didn't want them."(ouch)

I can't help but feel that the people in HR are only keeping the first 50 applicants and tossing the rest. So, I was trying to think of a way to visually make my resume stand out of the crowd.

The Gifted and Talented Society
http://www.giftedandtalentedsociety.com/
MRS P #506496 03/28/09 10:47 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I've heard from many recruiters that there are SO MANY resumes being submitted for each job. They definitely weed out the messy ones. A messy resume is definitely an indication of how well you may do on the job especially if it's a job that requires attention to detail.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
MRS P #783681 09/22/12 10:33 PM
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

The above post is from the COLD FILES.

It may help someone today or have additional comments.

Enjoy smile

Career Aptitude Test
Career Change
Career Coaching Training
Career Counseling

MRS P #797432 12/22/12 05:02 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Research the job description on various sites such as Monster, Indeed, etc. Then write down those key words you see pop up. Then, look at your resume and make sure those key words are in there. That is what they look for.

So, I've been told... Good Luck.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
MRS P #797433 12/22/12 05:11 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Tina that is absolutely true. Many organizations use an electronic "reader" to scan for those words.

A note of caution, however, applicants beware - don't just add the words/tasks because they are in the job posting, make sure you actually have the know how.

I've seen applicants use keywords but have no idea what they actually mean. Train wrecks waiting to happen.

Also remember that everyone is doing the same thing by simply adding key words, don't forget to add "the numbers". How you much money you actually saved the company, the amount of the budget you were responsible for...etc...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
MRS P #807595 02/23/13 11:58 AM
J
J
Research and collect information that would be helpful on creating your own resume.. as what i have read so far you need to have a catchy heading or intro and a nice closing. Be honest on putting your information so you will not struggle on your answers when you get interview

NOTE: new users are not allowed to add urls/links to their posts!!!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/23/13 03:18 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.