Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#505071 03/24/09 10:29 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Our local library and the Friends of the Library are sponsoring a workshop again this year - I'll be volunteering but will be able to sit in on one or two of the sessions -

One session is "How to Begin Your Writing Life" and another is "Making Stories from Story Fragments"

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angie #505086 03/24/09 11:53 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Oh that would be interesting!

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
It would be even better if I could type.

We've had the workshops before and they are always good. One year one of the speakers talked about writing your memoir. Her's was an unbelievable story. Some talk about writing historical novels or writing mysteries or how to get published. There are nine speakers scheduled and you choose three. Lunch will be provided as part of the registration fee.

Angie #505367 03/26/09 01:56 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Our library is having MEMOIR WRITING workshops.
sheryl

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Making Stories from Story Fragments sounds really interesting. I've jotted down ideas and thoughts, but they rarely make it into a story.

What a great learning opportunity you have at your disposal.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Wow - that's awesome. Congratulations on the opportunity to share!

Angela <><

Angela England
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Yes, the trick is to weave all I might learn into something coherent grin

A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: Angela, Pregnancy Editor
Wow - that's awesome. Congratulations on the opportunity to share!

Angela <><

The event was awesome and well-attended. There were nine authors and I sat in on three of the talks. The list of authors included Mary Burton, John J. Lamp, Faye Ringel, Austin S. Camacho, Linda Goodman, Kathleen Mix, Karen Jones, Ron Smith, and Joanne Liggan.

Mary Burton spoke about creating characters readers won't forget. She spoke about the emotional hook that you need within the first paragraph or two. She said that is a must to please the editors. The emotional hook is what drives the character. She gave examples from not only books but movies and television shows.

Linda Goodman spoke about making stories from fragments. She is a storyteller. She collected great lines and scenarios for years but couldn't make a story out of them but then she learned the art of storytelling and explained how to weave all the elements or fragments into a story. I did purchase her book with six short stories.

Karen Jones talked about how to begin your writing life. She gave tips about poster board, clustering, using index cards to break a block. While she was talking a first grader was sitting next to me. She was with her grandmother who was a volunteer and introduced the speaker. She doodled for awhile and wrote her story in pictures. Then when she got the poster board, she tried her hand at clustering. She was cute as a button. Ms. Jones is working on a book about death - beating the high cost of funerals. She mentioned a site that sells furniture that converts to a coffin. The first grader told me that her story was about a monster who crossed the street and was hit by a car and killed. She must have been listening to the speaker while she was doodling. smile

Ms. Jones is the one who challenged everyone to writing at least five minutes every day for the first week and then increasing it to ten the following week and then increasing it thereafter. She said to place totems next to our writing space when we begin. That is the signal that it is time to write. She said in the beginning, we might only be able to come up with three words but that would be OK.

Angie #507880 04/02/09 03:00 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That sounds like a very helpful series!

I definitely agree that the more you write every day, the more you get used to writing.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I don't have time to write a diary any more,or to create my favorite writing-poetry, so what I do is to enter a mini poem about the natural world most days.

It's my way of keeping a poetry journal ticking over. it also appears on my writing business website:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.