logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
At about 7:40 this evening I was out on my patio and saw two meteorites very close together. I saw them for about five seconds before they disappeared. They were very low in the east and travelled from north to south - I live in Reno, NV. When I told my daughter, she said she had heard we would be seeing meteorites this summer coming close to Earth. Has anyone else heard about this - or did anyone else see these two tonight?

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 03/20/09 11:20 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
There are many swarms of space dust that the earth plows through regularly every year. Some give a better meteorite show than others, depending on whether the moon is shining brightly that night, if there is some haziness, etc. One big swarm in the summer comes around the middle of August and maybe there will be no moon those nights which would make it seem better than usual.
Of course, a passing space pebble can fall at any time, so you never know if you will be lucky enough to see a good meteorite.
Did you make a wish on yours, Phyllis? I always do!

OP Offline
I did make a wish, Claybird.

I found it so fascinating to see these two meteorites because it is only maybe the second or third time in my life I have seen any. The last time was in the Pacific Northwest in the summer, probably August, when the nights were short and there was still daylight at 10PM and sometimes we could see the Northern Lights - anyway, we sat outside one night, very late and watched a meteor shower and it was awesome!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Amoeba
Amoeba
I think the next meteor shower is the Lyrids, which occurs around April 21st and 22nd. A really good site is spaceweather.com, which is a good first stop if you're wondering about something you've seen, such as meteors and comets.

I don't think there's a shower at the moment, but then the Earth gets hit by over 20 tons of cosmic rock every day. I'll probably do an article on meteoroids/meteors/meteorites for next week. :-) It's certaintly interesting stuff.

Barbara Melville

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.