Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Lisa, a variety of subject matter is always available. Although I do research, getting it organized and coherent is daunting to me. If the adrenaline is flowing and the passion is there, I can often turn out something quickly but generally, turning something out is like trying to cook hamburgers on a grill where the coals don't want to ignite.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I can understand that completely. I've been working on a book of Native American Wedding Traditions for over a year now. I really want to get it done, and I have tons of research material, but organizing it all is stalling me. In the meantime I'm writing quickly for the low carb site and gaming sites and such, so it's something about that organizing task.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.
- Mark Twain

This works for me! smile

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I do that for a lot of things except when it comes to writing.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Really? It helps me to break things down and keep track of all my writing projects.

It's so easy to get overwhelmed by all the projects I have going on that I have to make a list and see which are closest to completion, which needs to be sent out, etc. I like to look at a sheet of paper that lists where each of them are in the process (query letters, outlining, research, posting, etc.)

And I table and prioritize them so I know that, for example, I give myself a two-week deadline to finish x project or two days to submit my latest articles and so forth. And then, just for today, I'll focus on one project. This way, my head clears away all of the other pressing projects that can wait.

Otherwise, I'd go mad!!!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think I agree with Angie. With cleaning a room, I can say "I'll clean this one corner" and I know where to start. I can do that with many types of situations. But with writing for some reason if I have large piles of Native American research material, and I really want to do justice to all the tribes, it seems intimidating.

Angie - what are you trying to write? Maybe we can come up with a solution together!

Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Well, when we had the newsletter I would write the "letter from the president" and it would come pretty quickly. But if I want to write a column or article, it's like I hit the brick wall. I've often tried to figure out how to put together the "family history" I've been collecting for 40 years but that seems intimidating as well. I really admire everyone here who writes their articles. That is pretty cool.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wow I can see how a family history would be really intimidating! All those people, all those stories!

What if you started just with the furthest back you could go, the very first 10 years? What would that be like? Do it as a serial, by decade?

Low Carb Forum
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.