Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Thanks Steve, for your nice comments. I need to add an updated picture soon. I don't have bangs anymore. My hair is really boring right now as I am growing it out to donate or sell. smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
HI Lisa,
I don't let culture or society dictate how I look or what color my hair is.I do what works for me & is best for myself. I have nothing but positive attention about how I look & my dark/silver hair. I see many women in my city of Chicago who are letting their gray hair show & on most people it looks great.

I look very current & updated with my whole style I have enough confidence not to follow every trend or what other people think I should do. I have been treated very well with my dark/silver hair. I get alot of compliments & at 52 still get alot of positive attention from men. Women like my hair & style too. No, I don't look like a old hag at all. Never had any negative attention due to my hair color. It looks better than it ever did & yes, I am very proud of it.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Mattie - one thought in the meantime is to use a rosemary shampoo. I've been making my own shampoo recently and a rosemary one naturally has your hair darken. So it tones down my grey so it's less noticeable.

Silver - I understand what you're saying, and I agree that you can be treated well! We all wear what we want to wear for all sorts of reasons. My comment is only that you will be treated DIFFERENTLY than if you had chosen to have your hair blonde, or red, or some other color. It's fine to say "I will do this anyway" but it's good to be aware that you're making that trade-off.

For example, many of my friends found when they chose silver that they were treated with more patience and deference. In essence they were being treated as "someone's grandma" and were given extra time to make choices, were helped along and so on. So the differences are not necessarily negative - but they definitely exist.

So it's not about society or culture dictating anything to you. It's about being aware of how human beings tend to act to certain visual cues. Grey hair is one of those cues.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Lisa, '
I am never treated as someone's grandma at all. I never had any kind of negative treatment about my silver/dark hair. I don't see any different treatment of myself at all due to my hair color. Just more compliments than I usually receive. Which is very postive to me.

So, we need to accept that we each have our own opinions. No human being ever treated me as you said your friends were treated. It's sad that people don't want to accept that every woman does not feel the need to dye their hair because of grey. I totally disagree with you. I think we should drop it already. You can think what you want as I will. Let's leave it at that.

I see many women who dye their hair & look awful. Let's live & let others live their own lives to do what they want to do with their looks. There are more imporatant things to worry about. I am not making any kinds of trade offs at all. So, if you think that go ahead. I think women who allow what they think everyone else thinks they should do are the ones who are making trade offs. So, can we finally drop this? I hope so. We each have our own opinions. So, let's keep it at that.

Somehow I doubt that will happen. I'm aware of only positive attention with my silver/dark hair. So, please stop trying to convince me of your opinion.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think you might have mis-understood my post, Silver. I didn't say at all that the grey-haired women were treated negatively. I said people treated them positively - helped them with questions, were patient with them, and so on. I'm confused why you felt those were negatives?

You are saying, yourself, that you see a difference based on your hair color - that you receive more compliments. So you, too, agree that people are doing something based on your hair color, which I think is what we were all saying, yes?

Low Carb Forum
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Let's let this go. Ok? I can read & understand things. You can think what you want & I respect your right to your opinion, even though I don't agree with you. Please, do the same for me. It's like beating a dead horse at this point. I don't want to argue or debate with you or anyone else back & forth.

You made the statement "I think is what we were all saying, Yes? That says it all. I did not know this site was based on everyone agreeing or not agreeing. I'm sure, you won't let it go. So I will. It's sad that you want to keep going in circles about this. I don't.

I've been on this site a long time. Things have changed in a bad way around here. There were a few good people who have left. Kristen Houghton was 1 of them. Certain people just want to argue & keep it up. It's very sad. I used to enjoy this site alot & I'm sorry to see that some people just want to argue. I have better things to do.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I apologize if you feel I was arguing, I felt I was finding a common ground. You are right, if you do not agree that people react based on hair color, then that is quite fine.

Low Carb Forum
Parakeet
Parakeet
Right now my hair is growing pout from light ash blond to whatever it grows out too...it appear to be silver BUT as I am on chemo it has started turning almost black in stripes...very odd...I do like it though....I had been wanting to get away from the drudgery of coloring my hair every five weeks for decades and finally after a scarey trip to BAD haircut hell I decided that it was time...besides I have no clue what is going to happen during the course of my chemo so I will have to wait and just be surprised...

As to the question I think that whatever your color may or may not say when my hair was blonde I got more looks from men BUT now several women have noticed my "beautiful color" and asked me who did it...

Roni

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
Dorothy Parker
N
N
I guess it's saying I do not care since I am keeping my natural color and I have gray hair. It just does not bother me. I will have it colored in a few months or maybe more but I'm not in an hurry. I will probably go with dark blonde (always hated that color [tried light blonde once and it was fabulous on me] until i had my hair bleached before trying out pink and i loved what i saw in the mirror) and then another unnatural color (pink was great on me) or just go straight with another unnatural color (if i could have the same green as the Dallas Stars thats what id go with). I want to again go platinum blond one day then I'll go Elmo red then black, I know black will be awful on me since I am very pale but I want to try it at least once.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The last few months I've really let my hair say "I'm an old lady." Gotta change that. Lol

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.