Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi, does anyone have advice for finding family members in the UK? I've been trying to track down my father for a while and just before Christmas I found out I have a half brother - I'd be really interested in meeting him, but I'm getting no support from my Mother who seems to want the whole thing forgotten. I know my fathers full name, DOB, and identity number. My brothers first name, but his last could be one of two, maybe more...

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Steven, you might check with Tina our geneaology editor. She might have some good ideas on how to track down family members.

Good luck with this!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks Michelle smile - I will do. It's much harder than I was led to believe from TV and Film LOL. Very difficult, it was also a complete shock.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Gecko
Gecko
The Salvation Army finds family members. Contact your local SA and they should be able to help. Good Luck

Last edited by rdywenur; 04/11/09 01:18 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks rdyweur, I havn't contacted them about my brother, but I did contact them about my father a year ago, but my mother wasn't married to my father, even though they were together for years - and the Salvation Army seem to think that you don't count unless you're parents were married.
I was so upset to read this in the letter they sent me, it made everything worse. They say they don't contact people who weren't married in case of spoiling any new relationship that my father might be in - which I think is a digrace. I mean, he was the one that left - and now he gets the protection of his maybe 'new' family. Where's the fairness in that? He gets everything in other words, and we're left to pick up the pieces. Thanks though, it's a good idea, I might try them again about my brother, but all the info I have is on my father, I have very little on my brother - only his name and age, not even his birth date.

BTW, Michelle,
I did contact Tina, and she was very helpful at first, then she asked me for some more info and I havn't heard anything back for a while - do you think I should e-mail her again?

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Gecko
Gecko
192.com is also a site for finding people ...have you heard or tried that one. (its a UK search site)

G
G
If you know the birth date and location of birth, they are public information, from there you can have a driving record sent to you from the motor vehicle department (also public info) and it should have a most recent address on it. I did this to find my brothers son when he turned 21. We felt it was his decision at that age to know us or not. Turned out he was trying to find us too but didn't know how. He was reunited with his dad 10 years ago and it was the best thing ever! Good luck.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks guys, no, I havn't tried either of those - I'll check out 192.com in a bit smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
N
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
N
I'm hoping for a happy ending to all of this. I'm disappointed to hear the stand of the Salvation Army. In one sense I understand the idea of staying completely out of it without some idea of the circumstances of the child's birth. Being born during the marriage gives a better legal angle for them. The entire point may be to protect the organization. What I don't understand is the wording to a child trying to their parent. It certainly does send the message that one family is more important than the other.

Last edited by Nina - Siblings; 04/15/09 08:23 AM.

Nina Guilbeau
Siblings Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks Nina.
Yeah, I was really shocked and hurt when I read their letter, and there are so many different circumstances, you would think they would look, or try to look at each case differently. It does send the message out that an "illegitimate" child isn't as good as one born in marriage. I'm also surprised in this day and age, more attention hasn't been brought to changing the way they deal with the matter - after all, it's not the childs fault their parent's weren't married.

I'm waiting to see what they'll say about my brother - I'm really curious now, to know if he even knows I exist.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I would think this would be very important if only for health reasons - it can be critical to the child's health to know the parents' health histories.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I know I find it very frustrating, there could be a lot of things that I need to know health wise and don't. It's frustrating, and I heard back from the salvation army and they can't help me find my brother because I don't have his date of birth, although I have his age, mother's maiden name, last known address etc - so it's another door shut for me.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nina - Siblings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.