Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
G
Hi all, I am struggling with the issue of having kids or not, most of the time I don't want, but the times I do want I tell myself I only want 1 child. But then, I wonder how it's life would be, having myself grown up with 4 siblings. I think that the kid would be lonely, and wouldn't know what it's like to share/talk/find support of a brother or sister, and I end up feeling bad! Although my relationship with my brothers and sisters hasn't always been perfect, I definitely appreciate it and wouldn't change it for the world. Just the other day we got all together (with our respective husbands/wives), and we laughed, talked, and I thought how lucky I was to have them. On the other hand, I DON'T see myself being a mother to more than 1 kid, so if I end up having a second child just so my first "will have company and won't be lonely", I know I'd be miserable. So...as if deciding if I want a kid or not was not torturing enough, when I think I want one, I find myself with another set of issues! Help!

Last edited by gullivera; 02/25/09 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
There is nothing wrong with having an only child. A child will adapt to his life situation. Anyway, parents always want their children to have their childhood experiences. It doesn't happen that way.

You can have multiple children so they won't "be alone" but they *might* have a terrible relationship and not get along!

An only child today has many social options. Friends, cousins, teammates. Plus, studies show that an only child benefits intellectually from the attention of his parents. More kids, less attention from parents. Moms and dads get burnt out easily when raising children. They always seem to have the energy for their only child. Only children are usually high achievers because of it.

I personally know many only children. They are intelligent, socially well-adjusted and happy. I had three sisters and frankly, we weren't that close growing up together. We are so different in nature that although we played together on occasion, most of the time we fought. I love them to pieces but even today, we don't hang out a lot.

You really don't know how you'll feel once you have your first child. You may be perfectly content. You may decide to have another. Take it one day at a time.

You should reflect on your reasons for not wanting a child before you worry about multiple children! But an only child can be a blessing for the child as well as for the parents.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
The number of children you have is your choice. Just like the decision of whether or not to have children.

Like Lori said, there are plenty of only children that are fine, uptanding people.

By choosing to have only one child, then you don't have to "split resources". That child gets undivided attention, monetary benefits, time - you don't have to worry about getting child 1 to soccer, child 2 to cheerleading and child 3 to scouts all at the same time! (I've tried to pull this trick before, LOL!)

Yes, your child will not have a "built in playmate" - but within just a few years, he/she will be starting school and will have aounrd 20 playmates!

There are pros and cons to both sides. The ultimate decision is yours. Do not let anyone else bully or gult you into a decision that you are not comfortable with.

I am very happy with my 3 kids, I probabaly would have had 1 more, if it would not have been medically dangerous for me (needed a hysterectomy instead). One of my best friends thinks I am insane, LOL! grin Sometimes I agree with her. She has one child. She can spend more one-on-one time with this child, I envy that at times, but I love all the different personalities of my VERY different children.

We are different women, so we have different wants and goals in life.

You have to decide what is best for YOU. Do not let anyone ever make you feel bad for that choice.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.