logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#496807 02/24/09 06:57 AM
OP Offline
I recently uncovered a Singer 329 knitting machine in my aunt's attic. She can't really remember how to use it but I would really like to get knitting with it!! So far I have replaced the sponge bar and read the instruction manual. It seemed pretty straight forward. WRONG!! I can't get it to work!! I do the first row perfectly, but then when I am returning for the 2nd row (and every row after that) the stitches come off all over place! I don't know what I am doing wrong. Could there be something broken that I am not noticing? Is this a wool tension issue? I am so frustrated as I really wanted to knit some blankets and stuff. Please help me........... :(

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi Katie Have you got a 'comb' with hooks to hang on the stitches to give it some downward pressure? If you just cast on and then try to knit, the stitches will tangle up horribly. You need the downward pressure so that when the bed needles come forward the first row of stitches stays on the needles and go behind the latches. Then as you move the carriage the yarn goes into the needle, the latch closes and the first row stitches come forward and off as the needles go backwards. It works a bit like a whole bunch of crochet hooks working in tandem. Hope that helps Penny

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Yes the cast on comb is what keeps those stitches on for the second row, but you can also do some other cast on's. There the crochet cast on, the e-wrap cast on that are closed cast ons that work also.

If you do some searches you can find lots of tutorials for knitting machines. It doesn't have to be for that machine name, most machines work the same.

If you can view videos from youtube there are many that will help you out there also.

A
A
Hi Katie

If it is a single bed machine, then you would e wrap around each needle.

After that you should use the nylon string (this is a thick thread which won't break easily) If you can't find this, then you could use strong 3 ply cotton to go over all the needles.

After you cover the needles with the string, hold it down firmly as you slide the cam across the knitting bed. In fact I would knit several rows before I released the string from the knitting.

Hope that helps you.

Whatever you do ... don't give up ... you never know where your knitting could take you!

AnneMarie

M
M
Hi Katie,
If you don't want to use the comb or the cord to cast on simply e wrap cast on and then for the first 4 or 5 rows push all the needles right forward before you knit the row, but make sure that the carrage is not in hold. After 4 or 5 rows the brushes on the sinker plate has something to push on so as the stitches don't all fall off or not knit off.
Good luck

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Did you ever get the machine figured out? I would be willing to try to help if not. I am getting better and better with my machines. Far from any advanced person but still not that total beginner any more.

M
M
Just read your post. The other thing you can do is push the needles right forward for the first 2 or 3 rows but make sure your carrage is not in hold

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I find that I can push the needles forward for a few rows without using the cast on comb, but there still needs to be some weights used, at least on the end needles.

Without the weights the stitches on those end needles will sometimes just jump off. If it is on the bulky machine it isn't always a problem as the stitches don't run really fast, but oh man, on the standard it's start over again.

I am not that fond of frogging. LOL

M
M
Try just putting a small claw wieght on the edge

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.