logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
N
Hi Thanks for your help. I have looked at many sites for free patterns and am sometimes confused at the yarn descriptions as a lot of sites are American. I am used to 2ply,3ply,4ply,dk,Aran or chunky. Some of the patterns call the yarn worsted. I have tried to find a site that "translates" the terminology and so far all I can gather is that worsted is a chunky/aran. I may be wrong.
You are right the hk160 is th same as the mk-70 and believe they are easy to use. I have done a few swatches but not tried different tensions etc on the same swatch to see the difference as I am going along.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
E
Brother standard gauge machines will take fine double knitting at tension 9, and slightly thicker on alternate needles - you need to play with your machine to find out its capabilities. For heavier DK you will need a mid-gauge or a chunky machine.
If you have a knitweave facility on the machine, DK makes a good weaving thread on 3ply or 4ply, makes a lovely lightweight but warm fabric.
If it is still in print, Mary Weaver wrote a helpful beginners book called "Knit easy, knit Brother" - it might be available through e-bay or Amazon.
Ednamay

N
N
Thanks for your help. I found a beginners basic tutorial dvd on ebay which came today, also there are some video tutorials on you- tube for the uliimate sweater machine which has much the same basic techniques. Its so much easier to watch than to read. I have used scrap wool to try out the machine and am having some fun, not so funny though when the knitting falls at your feet!! Still it gives practice in trying to put stitches back on machine

E
E
New one: I have a standard gauge Brother (my Chunky has not come down from the loft since we moved house!!!) and I have not been able to use it for some months because of arthritis in my shoulders. I don't want to buy an electronic (mine is a punchcard) but I am dithering between buying a motor or a garter stitch accessory. I do have a ribber accessory which I use mainly for cuffs etc., but also for knee shawls (it keeps the edges flat). Any advice??? Ednamay

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I wish I could help, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to machine knitting. Although I'm loathe to send you away from BellaOnline, have you tried any of the links suggested here? Machine knitting links

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 01/30/09 12:52 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
You need to know that an electroni machine doesn't mean the machine will knit by itself. It is just the same as your punchcard machine, you have to push that carriage. The electronics are only for the built in patterns.

For example where you might have a punchcard that has a diamond pattern on it, that same pattern could be in the electronic machine under what ever number they gave it (there is a book with all the built in stitches).

So instead of putting in the punchcard to select the needles you would turn the machine on and select the pattern number to use and that built in pattern selects the needles, just like your punchcard machine does.

People hear electronic and automaticlly think the machine knits all by itself. That just isn't so. I have a punchcard and two electronic machines and I have to push that carriage the same on all three machines.

Now the other thing you are talking about, the garter stitch accessory, well I think you are talking about the garter carriage or g-carriage as it is called. These do knit by themselves. They come in several different models. For example I have a garter carriage 93 and an 89. These will work for some machines but not for others. These garter carriages are only made for the brother standard machines (and not all of those). At the end of this I will put a link to a compatibility chart for the g-carriages.

There is another thing that will run your carriage called a motor drive but those are very expensive and very hard to find. I think the last one I saw sell went for around $900 and that was a good buy.

Chart: Daisy Knits

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 02/20/09 02:15 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.