T
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
T
Why or why shouldn't they be allowed?

Trina Miller

School Reform

Last edited by tmiller; 02/19/09 05:52 PM.

Trina Miller
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
What's up TMiller. I say yes. Too many things can and have occured in our society and I would like to stay in contact if at all possible.

I know they didn't have 'em in my time going to school, but too much is going on today where they are essential to my sanity (knowing where my children are and if they need me).

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
Most schools have policies that do Not allow cellphones, or many other electronic devices, in the classroom. This is a policy held widely by elementary, middle and high schools as well as colleges and universities. As an instructor this is a correct and necessary policy. Cellphones are distracting in the classroom. It makes it difficult for instructors to teach and for other students to learn. Many students with cellphones in the classroom ignore the lesson and are busy texting on their cellphone. All cellphones should be turned off and put away during classtime. Even, laptops can be as distraction for students. Many students play games, text or surf the internet with their laptops during class not paying attention to the teacher or the lesson. When class begins it should books open, pencil and paper out and all electronic devices, including cellphones, should be turned off and put away.

Last edited by Craig58; 02/25/09 11:58 PM.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My daughter keeps hers and texts me at various points during the day. They are not supposed to have cell phones or they are supposed to be off, but she keeps me posted on how her day is going, or if she needs to stay afterschool for a club or extra work. Even if she doesn 't text me, apparently they have computers too so I get emails from her as well. I think in these days of potential violence in schools, I actually feel better knowing that she has it and can hopefully reach me in the event of an emergency. We live in a pretty uneventful area, but there have been times the school has had to go on lockdown and I found out from my daughter while it was happening which was hours before I was notified via email from the school. The school sent an email AFTER the situation was over.
In the days of Columbine and Virginia tech...I'm glad my daughter has her phone. I feel better.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Parakeet
Parakeet
Most schools only restrict cellphones within the classroom during classtime. No schools I know of restrict them from the school property completely. Some schools and teachers will temporary confiscate the cellphones of students that violate school policy about cellphone use. Most policies on cellphones and other electronic devices are written in the school's Student Handbook and often in the class syllabus too. Check the student handbook of your school to know exactly what their policy is.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Another big reason for disallowing them as well as scientific calculators because they can be used for cheating on tests. They both store information and you can text people for answers on tests.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
...and I completely agree with that Vance, but to me my childs safety far outweighs the thought of her cheating on a test. If only there was a happy medium crazy...it's just that the schools are so unreliable as far as getting out information when something wrong happens during the school day.
She should keep it on silent and in her pocket during class but they should be allowed in school. Just my opinion... smile

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Parakeet
Parakeet
As I said Dianne most schools only require students to have their cellphones turned off and put away during class. Your daughter should be allowed to have her cellphone with her just not turned on during class time. Again, if you are uncertain call your school and ask for a copy of the student handbook. That should explain the school's rules regarding cellphones and all electronic devices.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
And as I said Craig58, I know that. I have 3 kids that have gone through the school system, I've been PTA president twice, a PTA treasurer twice and a PTSO president once, trust me I am well aware of every rule in every school handbook. That's not the point, just responding to the question in the forum which is "cell phones in school -why or why shouldn't they be allowed". It's not really asking about school rules. Though I do see your point about rules. Please allow me to express MY opinion as you have expressed yours.
Thanks!

Last edited by Dianne - Unemployment; 02/27/09 08:27 AM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Parakeet
Parakeet
My apologies I misunderstood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.