Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The US has its first ever black Attorney General and he had very bold statements to say in his latest speech. He said that Americans are often cowards about race and that we should just be brave and talk about racial issues we are afraid to talk about for fear of seeming un-PC.

I'm really curious, what do you think he refers to here? What racial issues are we afraid to discuss?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
I'm not certain which topics the new Attorney General was referring to; but I would guess that, over the years there have been so many people filing suits about being discriminated over, because of a chosen words by others, that many people are so "PC", that they really don't say what's on their minds and in their hearts, or ask the questions, because they are afraid of being labeled as racists. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, living in the past and not moving forward.

Here's the way I see it: There really does need to be honest talk concerning the reality of what is facing many people today. There needs to be honest dialogue concerning the the extreme poverty disparages between the races; the amount of both African American men and women in prison. The continued differences in education, medical assistance, and public assistance.

There really shouldn't be any topic, that I can personally think of, that should be off limits. If we are going to address real issues, and expect change to come; then we have to take off the kit-gloves, and begin to delve into why there remains(in 2009)such disparities amongst the races and classes.

The truth of the matter is: it is not just a black and white issue; it has become a class issue as well. And we cannot be afraid to speak about what is really going on, for fear of saying something that is politically incorrect.

I do know that many people do not like to talk about the escalating percent of young African American teens kiiling one another. I know that many do not want to talk about the high rate of single parent homes and single mothers. I do find that many do not like to look at the fact that many African Americans are destroying their own neighborhoods, and those that are willing to fight and stand for their communities receive no assistance, that is readily available for other non-black communities.

Finally, tired I can also see that many people (perhaps pride), feel offended when someone who has not walked in their shoes, opens their mouths to say what should be done.

I feel like this: If you have a solution to my problem, and everything that I have tried has failed; then it really doesn't concern me about the color of your skin or your race, if you have the answer that WILL solve my problem.

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Originally Posted By: Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd

There really shouldn't be any topic, that I can personally think of, that should be off limits. If we are going to address real issues, and expect change to come; then we have to take off the kit-gloves, and begin to delve into why there remains(in 2009)such disparities amongst the races and classes.

The truth of the matter is: it is not just a black and white issue; it has become a class issue as well. And we cannot be afraid to speak about what is really going on, for fear of saying something that is politically incorrect.

I agree with you Ruthe, however, as many African Americans can agree, not everything that should be said, "can" be said. That's just the way it has been and with some form of etiquette, will remain. I'm all for the "speak what you feel" but not always is it appropriate in certain instances and get this....when done is taken all out of proportion leaving anger, racism, misunderstandings, prejudice and hate. Does that mean, don't say what you feel, not at all but as Solomon says in Proverbs in our bibles, there is a time for everything.

We will never, have a true understanding and/or round table of conversation concerning race in our country. Too many "in the closet remarks, beliefs and misunderstandings".

Thanks for posing the question Lisa. By the way, have you received my PM?

Last edited by Kimmie08; 02/19/09 12:10 PM.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
Originally Posted By: Kimmie08
Originally Posted By: Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd

I agree with you Ruthe, however, as many African Americans can agree, not everything that should be said, "can" be said. That's just the way it has been and with some form of etiquette, will remain. I'm all for the "speak what you feel" but not always is it appropriate in certain instances and get this....when done is taken all out of proportion leaving anger, racism, misunderstandings, prejudice and hate. Does that mean, don't say what you feel, not at all but as Solomon says in Proverbs in our bibles, there is a time for everything.

We will never, have a true understanding and/or round table of conversation concerning race in our country. Too many "in the closet remarks, beliefs and misunderstandings".

Thanks for posing the question Lisa. By the way, have you received my PM?

You are, so right, Kimme! The truth is, there are many that harbor thoughts and beliefs that they will never openely, and honestly reveal. There are those that seem to be on your side, but in actuality,they harbor things against many in their heart.

As well, you are right again, in using sound judgement. There is a place and time for all things. We must always use wisdom, and seek wise council when we are to address or confront very touchy, and explosive issues, such as race.

And, we must understand that not everyone will believe or see the same thing. We can look at the same picture, but see totally differnt things because of what we believe, and what we have been taught, and what we have experienced.

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Good points Ruthe. Have a great weekend.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor

Moderated by  Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.