Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Hi everyone,

My latest article is a challenge to reconsider rented storage units: are they really necessary, or are they simply a way of wasting money that could be much better spent (or saved) elsewhere?

Read the article here: Reconsidering Storage Units.

And then let me know what you think. Do you have a storage unit? Is it honestly useful to you, or is it a place where stuff you don't necessarily want or need goes to die (or at least to sit in limbo for a long time)?

If you didn't have a storage unit to pay for, how would you use the money you currently have to shell out for rent?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and perspectives!

Best,
Emily

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I can definitely understand having a storage unit if you move into a smaller apartment temporarily. This lets you make it through the transition period smoothly.

Also if you have a hobby with large items - say a kayak or motorcycle - I can see having one as a "garage". That way you can enjoy your hobby without having a kayak in the middle of your living room.

I personally have never owned a storage unit though. I've been lucky enough to always have hobbies with relatively small items involved smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I, on the other hand, have ALWAYS had storage units. Usually multiple ones in different states. It's kinda ridiculous. But I have moved over 90 times and quite often didn't move into a new place - ie: living in an apartment, then getting a job as a wilderness leader in another part of the country and living in my truck for a season...then staying with the parents for a few months after the gig was up, followed by another apartment somewhere nowhere NEAR my storage...

My life has been weird. :-p

I have storage out in AZ from when I lived there that's been sitting for YEARS. And now i have a new one in CA from downsizing into an RV.

I want to move the AZ one into the CA one and eventually get rid of most of the stuff in it. But i fear this will take a long time. I am in no hurry to go in and mess with my stuff - it's the opposite of a good time.

I think a garage sale would be a good idea, but am not sure it will be worth the effort. It will end up being a long, frustrating process. I should just keep the valuables and donate the rest to Goodwill. What do people think?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I understand that it will be incredibly stressful for you to deal with. Dragging everything out and managing a big garage sale also sounds stressful.

If it was me, here is what I would do.

I'd go up to the storage unit and take out the 10 coolest things that I thought other people would really treasure - special gifts to send out into the world as a thanks for having such a cool RV. You want to give karma back to the universe.

Take pictures of each one. Then put each one on CraigsList at whatever price you think is fair and let people come to you to take them. When each person shows up, think of it as a "giving ceremony" - like what heifer.org does when they pass a gift of an animal from one person to another. You are sharing the wealth and helping a new person achieve their dreams.

That way it's not about dealing with clutter or negative stuff. It is about just ten items - ten special items - that you are sending out to new wonderful homes.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I like that! Thank you. I can't have people come to the RV parks - they would not be allowed in - but I can see if my mom or sister would be willing to hold onto the stuff for me and let people come take them.

Hmmm. Yes, so pictures of the things and only ten things...that sounds manageable.

Storage units have been a bane of my days for so long that it's really quite a comfortable rut. When I have them all cleared out, I will have to really celebrate with something amazing.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Ah ok that's interesting, I was thinking that people coming to you would make it very easy on you. I didn't realize they were so secure in an RV park!

Yes maybe one of your relatives could handle the transactions!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It depends on the RV parks. My membership parks that I can use for free are all extremely secure - to the point where even friends/family have to pay a $5 day use fee just to get in and visit me.

But the For-pay ones (like the ones I will have to use in Flagstaff here) are different - not secure, people can drive in and park wherever. So i think using Craigslist while I am here can work.

Quote:
I'd go up to the storage unit and take out the 10 coolest things that I thought other people would really treasure - special gifts to send out into the world as a thanks for having such a cool RV. You want to give karma back to the universe.

Take pictures of each one. Then put each one on CraigsList at whatever price you think is fair and let people come to you to take them. When each person shows up, think of it as a "giving ceremony" - like what heifer.org does when they pass a gift of an animal from one person to another. You are sharing the wealth and helping a new person achieve their dreams.

That way it's not about dealing with clutter or negative stuff. It is about just ten items - ten special items - that you are sending out to new wonderful homes.

This is an excellent idea. I will have to look at my storage stuff tomorrow after a good night's sleep and think this through.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh, and I will have to get some kind of roof rack for my kayaks before I leave Flagstaff. That will be about a hundred plus tax and install for an RV roof rack, so not sure it's worth it at this time. A roof rack on my car, esp bought on Craigslist, would be cheaper, but then I would have a kayak on the roof everywhere I went.

Perhaps I should consider selling my kayaks and buy a 'new' used one when I am more settled or have more cash flow.

Which idea seems best?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I would sell them for now. You can get a perfect one for you later. Kayak technology keeps improving and once all your money flows start to kick in in a few months you could get one you've always dreamed of! Don't deal with the hassle of maintaining one / carrying one for now.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
I would sell them for now. You can get a perfect one for you later. Kayak technology keeps improving and once all your money flows start to kick in in a few months you could get one you've always dreamed of! Don't deal with the hassle of maintaining one / carrying one for now.

Unless some of the campgrounds you are planning on going to have some wicked rapids nearby and you plan on doing kayaking. I know how active you are. If ther are just going to sit on top - yeah, get a better one later!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, good thinking guys. I will compromise and sell the two person and keep the smaller one person. I will just keep it inside the rv when driving and eventually come up with some kind of roof rack somewhere down the line.

How does that sound? I should even be able to get a few hundred for the two seater.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Sure that's a good compromise to start with! Little steps!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Hey, i am learning a major lesson from all this - stop aquiring! Once this is all over, I don't want to pay for storage ever again. :-(

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have a plan for a home base, finally, in a rent to own situation in Camp Verde, AZ. I have the one storage emptied out, finally. Around the holidays DH and i will tackle the large, more full CA storage.

This will leave me only with a couple of small trailers with my things in them, but they aren;t hurting anyone where they are, and everything is safe in them. So I can tackle that in small amounts here and there.

I am going to take myself firmly in hand to NOT let this happen again. You'd think with 90 moves under my belt I'd have figured this out long ago!

M
M
Yeah its really worth for me as my garage is not so large enough to store my things. It imparts the strength equivalent to a shelf. Now my house looks so neat and tidy, as I organize stuffs over my garage. Really what Garage Living in Ontario built for me on overhead of my garage is really beneficial for me.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Storage units can come in very handy for moving and for transitional periods. But you have to be careful not to let them sit too long until you really don't want to deal with them anymore. If you haven't needed your stored items for a year or two you probably won't need most of them anymore. At that point you are just wasting your money.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.