logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
hi all, i haven't been on in quite a while, but i would like some help. i am seriously thinking of buying another wheel. (i know this is a novel idea, lol) i think i would like a portable one that is easy to travel or take to a class. i am hoping to be able to go to SOAR and assume one needs to have their own wheel for the workshops etc.any help on choosing one or if anyone knows of a source for a used one would be appreciated. thanks so much. i am in south florida and as you might imagine there is not alot of opportunity to be with other spinners.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Yes, you really do need a wheel for SOAR. Not just for a workshop but also for some of the social activities and for just sitting and spinning and enjoying your down time smile

Portable wheels, the list is a long one with lots of choices:

There is the Journey wheel - beautifully made (cherry wood) and engineered, it is full sized and made to fold up into it's own case which has a substantial carrying strap. Set up and break down is fast and easy - a simple matter of opening or closing the case. Double drive, Scotch tension option available, 3 bobbins (quick change), built in kate (not tensioned, but tension can be rigged easily). Single or double treadle. Outstanding customer service. Treadles easily, spins beautifully. A bit heavy as travel wheels go but this is easily overcome with an old set of luggage wheels and a bungee cord. IMHO, it's the best portable wheel on the market today.

Then there are some Louets: The S-45 is a good one, fast and capable of spinning a wide variety of yarns. However, I think it has been discontinued - sad, as it was one of their better wheels. The S-90, long discontinued is another good one but is seldom found on the used wheel market. Currently, they have the Julia and the Victoria - if I recall correctly, the Victoria is the smaller one (and it is very small). Louets are good wheels and the small size of these (particulary the Victoria) would make them easily portable. I believe they come in double treadle only.

Majacraft makes the Little Gem portable wheel. Comes in double treadle only and has a delta orifice. I've not tried one so can't comment on how it spins or treadles but one of my friends has one and loves it.

Ashford makes the Joy wheel which is portable. Also only in double treadle. Be careful buying on the used market as some of the early ones had a defect which allowed the flyer to.....well... go flying off the wheel. This has been corrected on newer models.

For really small portable, use anyplace even n the car wheels there is the Hitch Hiker and the Pocket wheel. Both spin nicely but both are small "spin down between your knees" sized. The Pocket wheel is the better spinner of the two and is also better made (which shows in the price tag).

I'm sure I've missed some smile I know I didn't mention the Van Eaton fold & tote or Fold & Fly (both very nice wheels) but that's because Mr. Van Eaton is no longer accepting orders and these are extremely rare finds on the used wheel market.

I hope to go to SOAR this year too since the venue is, while not exactly in my back yard, practically around the corner. If we are both lucky enough to get a slot, I could simply toss another wheel in the back of the pick up for you to use at SOAR. So keep in touch smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
OP Offline
wow , thanks for answering and with some wheels i have never heard of. also thanks for the offer. i was really stupid last year in not applying to go as i was in new york and pennsylvania would have been so easy. i was feeling guilty to spend so much money on myself, then i found out it was going to be in oregon, and i am now in florida, so much for unjustified guilt, now it will cost me about 2x as much. just plain dumb. i am still going to go if i get in. thanks again, myra

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
There's a new portable wheel just on the market called the Bee.
I've only seen pics but it sure looks interesting. It's by the people who make the Spinovations Mach 1.

Yes, SOAR s expensive. I'm thinking of just going to the retreat session to cut down on the costs.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.