#493553 02/12/09 09:32 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I noticed that many libraries are going toward allowing patrons to self check out their books, much like the checkouts you see in Walmart or some grocery stores. When I recently visited a library, I noticed that not many people were using this service, rather standing on long line waiting for a clerk to check out their books. Is self check out the new wave of the future for libraries because of the budget cuts and fewer library staff?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Our library offers self-check out, and I've used it whenever possible, just to free up the librarians to do other things.

I like the service. It's quick, easy and fun (ok, so I am easily entertained.)

Only once there was a problem with the electronic strip on a book. I also enjoy chatting with the nice library staff and miss that when I self-check out.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Budget cuts may be the reason for the self checkouts, but it isn't why people stand in long lines. I have a technology background, but I was disappointed to see the impersonal machines in my local library. In general, people enjoy the human interaction of saying, "Hi; I haven't seen you in a while. What have you been doing lately? Are you aware of the booksale?" However, I do use the self checkouts and appreciate them when I'm in a hurry. Yet, it saddens me to use them. At the same time, I have wondered who may not have a job because of them.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D

That's what I THOUGHT would happen too!!!

Trust me if I hadn't been on line getting a library card (it was a reciprical library out of my county)I definitely would have used it and will next time.

I agree, I think people like the human touch and the library always seemed like one of those places where you could always get a smiling librarian to help you. That will definitely be lost as we become a more automated society.

Last edited by Dianne - Unemployment; 02/12/09 10:33 PM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Shark
Shark
My library is in the process of writing a grant for self-check out machines. It isn't a matter of cutting personnel. It's a matter of funding that hasn't increased enough for us to replace personnel that have left.

At first I didn't like the idea of self-check out, but I've changed my mind. I highly prize the prvacy of patron records and what they are reading. Self check-out offers the ultimate in patron privacy. No one has to be embarrassed handing me their books on bankruptcy, IBS, or racy stories.

M
M
Our library is considered to be a very friendly neighborhood library, and our two self-check machines are used all the time. Since more and more items are being checked out every year, and there is a hiring freeze, it makes all kinds of sense to use them. Those who have inter-library loans, or whose accounts need updating, or who need to pay fines, renew items (with help), or check on other things pertaining to their accounts can't use the self-check, so the clerks are plenty busy as it is. Not only that, but the clerks frequently need to assist those using the self-checks because it's just a little different than what they expect, and the machines have to be updated sometimes. We also have our holds shelved where patrons can access them for themselves (not ILLs though) which saves the clerks even more time. The clerks stay extremely busy.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I visited a library today that had the holds on a shelve next to the check out desk where patrons could pick up their own holds. I must say tht I loved it because the clerk does not have to leave the desk.

I love the idea of privacy as well, occasionally a clerk would thumb through a book I picked out, fortunately it's usually a cooking book so that wasn't too bad. I can only imagine if you were to pick up something "racy" as Paula said.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
At the library I go to, you have to try to check out your book first, then if it doesn't work (and this has happened to me several times) then you can go to the desk. I like it--accept for like I said it doesn't work and I have to go to the desk anyway.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: leahmullen
At the library I go to, you have to try to check out your book first, then if it doesn't work (and this has happened to me several times) then you can go to the desk. I like it--accept for like I said it doesn't work and I have to go to the desk anyway.

mmmm....that doesn't sound like it makes for really great customer service. I think it's better if you have the option. Maybe they just have a few bugs to work out of the system.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Our library has self-check outs and I love them. If I am in a hurry, they serve to get you in and out quickly (unless there is something wrong with your bar code)(or you owe fines, it won't let you process) In the kids section they love it! They feel grown-up; picking their book,and checking it out. All with little or no help from me.
It's great. And for some reason we have a very specialized staff, each librarian having a title and our library has many volunteers as well.

Mary Caliendo
Tea

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.