Page 1 of 2 1 2
#493238 02/12/09 11:08 AM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I am so addicted to nasal sprays, over a year now
I am so stuffed up with rebound effects from the sprays
I bought a neti pot hoping it would help but it won't work when my passages are stuffed.
Any suggestions how to kick the nasal sprays?

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
You might try getting some of those nasal strips and using them in conjection with a humidifier to help open your passages up.

Also, you may want to invest in an actual irrigator. This is electronic and it actually pushes the water up through the nasal passages as opposed to just flowing through like the neti pot.

Vick's vapor rub will help open sinus passages, too.

And there are bath salts that have menthol and Eucalyptus in them that if you soak in a hot tub will steam up and help open them.

Just don't ever go back to the nasal spray - use a saline spray instead.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
also you might ask yiur doctor for an antiinflammatory spray

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the info, i'm at the point where i'll try anything.

Rosie L
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I bought a plastic bottle sinus irrigation thing like this at Costco and it works great. You can use a little force to get the solution up into your sinuses.

Nasal sprays aren't really needed if you use a sinus saline solution all the time. Do it morning and night until the problem clears up.

"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Mom, I've seen those in the drug store

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I have chronic sinusitis and have had a similar rebound effect with nasal sprays. I tried switching sprays and that helped but only while I was using Mucinex, which thins out mucus in your sinuses. I also use a Neti Pot three times a day.

Unfortunately, after taking Mucinex for awhile I developed one of the more rare side effects and discontinued it. Of course, I was back to square one and within a few days developed a sinus infection. Recently I picked up a copy of Dr. Robert Ivker's book, "Sinus Survival," and decided to follow his suggestion of upping my water intake. He recommends at least eight glasses a day for sinus sufferers. I drank a little more than that and finally mucus started to drain from my sinuses. I would definitely recommend you try increasing your water intake and see what happens.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
I drink a lot of water, my doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray called Astelin, Which does nothing. My insurance only covers that one. I will look in the book club to see if that book your talking about is there. I know i should be checked for polyps I had them removed once before, But i'm working on that.

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Astelin is an antihistamine, so it is only good for allergies. If your nasal passages are swollen from allergies, then this will work. But if your nasal passages are swollen from anything else, Astelin won't do a darn thing!

Rhinocort is a nasal spray antiinflammatory. This means its major function is to reduce the swelling.

Something a lot of people don't think about when using Rhinocort or any other antiinflammatory is that the medication needs to stay in the nose!

People are so used to sniffing nasal spray all the way back. But this medicine does not need to go into the back of the throat (which is what happens when you sniff), instead it needs to stay in the nose.

So you should only sniff very lightly. Also it can take up to 5 days for you to start to feel the affect, this is a medication that builds up over time. It is not going to be a magic cure that works right way. But on the other hand - once you do get the swelling down, it will make a major differenc in your ability to breathe.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Thanks for the idea, HealthyMom62. I have been having headaches this week (which is a very rare thing for me) and was wondering what from. After all the sneezing and stuffed nose I figured out it must be some kind of allergy. I was planning to go to Costco, so I'll look this sinus irrigation thing up. Hope it helps. I am reluctant to using sprays or nose drops because years ago I developed an addiction to some nose drops and needed a surgery in order to get over it. I would much rather use some natural treatments.

Last edited by Holiday; 03/13/09 01:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.