Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I have posted a new article at the Special Needs Children website:

Multiple Births and Childhood Disability
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art60818.asp

It is virtually impossible not be be aware of the controversies surrounding the birth of octuplets to Nadya Suleman in January, 2009, with the assistance of a fertility clinic in California.

Families of children with special needs have become alarmed by the cutting remarks, anger, and hateful attitudes of some in the media and online who have made ugly comments about the extra expense of supporting children with special education and support needs due to developmental delays and disabilities, chronic health conditions or other risks involved with multiple or premature births.

It is reported that three of Ms. Suleman's previous six children have special needs, including a three year old who is said to have autism.

Families raising children with special needs and other advocates point out that the cost of public education is not reported in news stories as a cost of raising mainstream children, and that children with special needs deserve and have the legal right to accommodations, opportunities and support in public schools.

Those responsible for our current economic crisis are not children with special needs and the spotlight should be moved right back on CEOs and bankers who are still rewarding themselves with bonuses and lavish lifestyles without any regulation or concern about what their decisions cost the middle class, small businesses and families.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Last edited by SNC_Editor_Pam; 02/12/09 05:55 AM.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
C
Thank you for those thoughts. I have been concerned ever since the birth of these babies about the prevailing attitude of the media, bloggers and especially the members of the internet forum bearing ms Sulemans name. They all love to hate her, and even if unintentionally by extension her children. I have followed this story closely and have been shocked and saddened by this reaction. I can understand why she wouldn't choose to reduce her pregnancy and think it truly is a blessing that the babies appear so healthy. I realize that there could easily be disabilities that become obvious as the children grow and develop and feel like the public outcry has almost precluded Ms Suleman from accepting the services any other child and parent would be considered entitled to. She has resorted to selling coverage to various forms of the media in order to provide support for her family and is now severely criticized for that. I suppose it is a sign of these economic times, but it still is a sad picture of the America we now live in that this attitude towards this family is found acceptable.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
It is disturbing to me that negativity flows so freely from people sitting alone with their keyboards as if they did not have people in their real lives who would benefit from their attention and compassion; maybe they are people who could benefit from both themselves.

Pam

Originally Posted By: SNC_editor
Multiple Births and Childhood Disability
Families raising children with special needs and other advocates point out that the cost of public education is not reported in news stories as a cost of raising mainstream children, and that children with special needs deserve and have the legal right to accommodations, opportunities and support in public schools. Those responsible for our current economic crisis are not children with special needs and the spotlight should be moved right back on CEOs and bankers who are still rewarding themselves with bonuses and lavish lifestyles without any regulation or concern about what their decisions cost the middle class, small businesses and families.
It is virtually impossible not be be aware of the controversies surrounding the birth of octuplets to Nadya Suleman in January, 2009, with the assistance of a fertility clinic in California.
Families of children with special needs have become alarmed by the cutting remarks, anger, and hateful attitudes of some in the media and online who have made ugly comments about the extra expense of supporting children with special education and support needs due to developmental delays and disabilities, chronic health conditions or other risks involved with multiple or premature births.
It is reported that three of Ms. Suleman's previous six children have special needs, including a three year old who is said to have autism.
Pam W
SE of Seattle

Originally Posted By: concerned
Thank you for those thoughts. I have been concerned ever since the birth of these babies about the prevailing attitude of the media, bloggers and especially the members of the internet forum bearing ms Sulemans name. They all love to hate her, and even if unintentionally by extension her children. I have followed this story closely and have been shocked and saddened by this reaction. I can understand why she wouldn't choose to reduce her pregnancy and think it truly is a blessing that the babies appear so healthy. I realize that there could easily be disabilities that become obvious as the children grow and develop and feel like the public outcry has almost precluded Ms Suleman from accepting the services any other child and parent would be considered entitled to. She has resorted to selling coverage to various forms of the media in order to provide support for her family and is now severely criticized for that. I suppose it is a sign of these economic times, but it still is a sad picture of the America we now live in that this attitude towards this family is found acceptable.

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.