Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Shark
Shark
I
I am blessed to be married to a guy who respects my privacy... I have nothing to hide but it's the respect thing, you know? I told him that he has my permission to read my journals after I die. We have no secrets so there's nothing that would shock or hurt him. Many years ago, I was engaged to a fellow who one day told me in quite an arrogant way that once we were married everything of mine would be HIS too, so that meant he was going to read all my journals. No, I don't think so, was my reply. He kept pushing and became more and more adamant, and the more I refused (finally declaring that I would burn the *%$# things rather than have him read them!) the madder he got, finally accusing me of "having something to hide." I did not have a thing to hide, I tried to explain; it was just the principle of privacy and respect. I would never read HIS journals if he had any. He didn't get it. That was the first of many red flags. How glad I am that I did not marry him!

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
About a year ago, I shredded all my own journals in a futile attempt to change myself. Now I wish I hadn't because I'm on a new journal journey.

I
Shark
Shark
I
Lynn Ann, I've been doing a lot of what I call flashbacking in my current journal. Looking back on things that happened a long time ago in the Bad Old Days�, or that for reasons of insecurity I simply could not write out at the time they happened.

I've mostly kept my diaries and journals, but there were a few that I destroyed in fits of anger when I was young, or for the aforementioned insecurity, like if I felt like I'd said too much. I'm remembering some of that stuff and trying to capture it too.

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have definitely "destroyed writings" in a desire to get rid of them - and then later really regretted having them gone.

I definitely suggest if someone is feeling that desire to pack them up and send them away to a friend's house for storage. Then do a "symbolic destruction" with paper or fire or whatever. Cleanse your spirit. But give yourself time to see if you might want the actual historical record in the future, when your emotions are more settled.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
I
Shark
Shark
I
Great idea, Lisa. I guess the reason I have not felt tempted to destroy any of my more recent journals- like past 30 years or so- is that they feel like old friends. Shoot, there were times when I felt like my journal was my only friend.

Certainly the only "friend" with whom I could truly be me.

Which makes me think of a possible prompt... give me a few and I might just post it, if no one shoots me first for writing too many posts in one day!

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.