Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
That's a great idea, to keep a pair of journals. One that is private to help you sort out your feelings and emotions, and another that is public that you can share your life and path.

My great-grandmother left behind diaries of her life in the 40s and I find them fascinating reading. It is so great to get that window into what a normal farmer's wife went through back then. It really reminds me to count my blessings in our modern life. I think each of us has something to share with future generations.

So I'm a strong proponent of public / shareable journals.

I also feel private journals can be *amazingly* helpful in helping each of us grow, change and expand our lives.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angela - what a lovely idea to have a Gratitude Journal that everyone can read. My journal tends to cover everything and anything depending on the mood I'm in at the time of writing. I'd never burn them though, I did burn one once when I was much younger and I've always regretted it but that's got to be a very individual decision. As you say our personal journals are our 'personal' journals and should remain so - at least until after our death. Penny

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
One idea for people who burned their journals or destroyed them and now regret it - get a special journal for "repair". Write down in everything you can remember from that time. Even those memories would be better than nothing!

Low Carb Forum
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
I once read about a diary repository where you could "store" your journal instead of destroying it. I think you could even submit the diaries with stipulations such as not releasing them to immediate family or to hold them until 20 years after your death, etc.

I'll have to find out more information about that and write an article. I think this might be a good option for those who want to "eliminate" an old journal for closure, without having it in an easy-to-access location for privacy reasons.

Angela <><

Angela England
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I wrote a lot as I was growing up and then when I reread my journals, I was sooo afraid someone would read them that I disposed of them.

How I regret that!

I wrote a series of letters to my adult self so I would remember what it felt like to be young. I wrote stuff like, "TRUST your daughter!!!" and such. Laughable. But I wanted to write a series of letters back to my young self and thought it would make a great little book. But I threw out all of those letters. frown

Maybe I can still pull a YA novel out of what I recall.

There was a really private journal that I burned. For closure. But I wish I didn't do that either.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do like the idea of a super-safe storage area where things are completely safe. That way if you change your mind later on, they still exist. I completely understand the need to "purge" - but I also know that years later, a different desire to remember that part of one's life might be strong too.

Low Carb Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I write lots of personal things in my journal, but for some reason, I don't worry about others reading them. Even when I was 16. I keep all of mine, tho they are beginning to pile up.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
My mom read my diary when I was 17 and it caused a big brou-ha-ha. She kept a diary so you would think she would have respected the privacy issues and understood how important it was for emotional health to have one.

Now that I'm an adult and only my boyfriend is in the house I don't have any privacy issues at all - I don't think he'd ever open one of my diaries.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I've kept my journals from the past 30 years, but just this year tore out the pages that mention others in a personal light.

P.S. My sister asked me never to write about her as either a fiction or non-fiction character, which I've respected ...

edited to add P.S.

Last edited by Susan Kramer; 03/05/09 03:38 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's very interesting, that she made that request. Had you written about other family members in some of your stories?

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.