logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi, I'm new here and am thoroughly enjoying being with fellow journalers. You're probably horrified that I burnt my journals, but I had just over a hundred journals that were mostly full of stuff about a bad childhood and some bad relationships. For a long time I found it hard to find a place to put them all. I didn't want anyone reading them as they had some VERY personal details in them. I stored them in a locked trunk for a long time, but then it came to where to put the trunk? I thought long and hard about all these writings and how I didn't really want anyone reading them. I had planned to leave them to my kids, but since I've also written my autobiography and about five self-published books of poetry about my life, I didn't see anything positive about leaving these words for them to read too. So late one afternoon I tore the pages from each book and lit a small fire in my backyard, and one by one they were destroyed. I'm very glad I did it as since then I haven't had the fear of them being read. To those who don't journal, or ever really do any deep thinking, my journals would have made me sound like a crazy woman, but they helped me do the healing I needed to do. I also want to say that I did this about three years ago and haven't journaled since. But I have had a blog which I write in a couple of times a week. It's nowhere near as deep and personal as my journaling though. Well, about a week ago I got the urge to journal again so I went and bought myself a couple of notebooks and I'm at it again. So here I am.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I think that actually sounds very cathartic.

My daughter is going through couinseling right now fro a traumatic experience that occurred to her; and one of the things the counselor is having her do is to journal her emotions.

Whenever she comes in for a new appointment, she tears out the pages from the week before and rips it into shreds.

The purpose is to help her realize that the past cannot control her.

By ripping (or burning) those pages, you are giving yourself permission to let go of those memories and move on with life.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
I agree with Michelle. I don't keep anything that I think others should not see, and I think it is cathartic to rip, tear, destroy in whatever way feels good to you. It helps put the past where it belongs.

Destroying your journals was very brave!

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I've journaled since I was in middle school so I have had tons of journals laying around for years. The ones I wrote when I was younger, I keep for my daughters. My oldest will start middle school next year and I thought she might like to read about some of my experiences. Back then when I journaled it was more of a way to set to memory what had happened in my life and most of it was pretty good.

Now a days, my journals are a lot more private. I usually do keep them, but not where anyone else would have access to them unless I wanted them too. As I've gotten older I tend to use my journal as a sounding board. To hash out what's really going on in my heart and my mind. When I have problems, when I'm overwhelmed, when I'm happy and even when I'm just unsure of what to do with myself.

Journaling is very healthy I think. I also think that you have find for yourself what you want to do with your journals. Sounds like burning them was a very good thing for you. For me reading over mine sometimes helps me to see how far I have come. So I gotta keep'em for now anyways! wink

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I was keeping a journal after my son was killed, the people in the church told me to throw them away, they took away my memories, How i wish i hadn't listen to them.
When my daughter lost custody of my granddaughter i started keeping journals for her (my granddaughter) about her life the good the bad and the ugly. When she becomes an adult i will hand the journals over to her. journals can be an important part of your live.

Rosie L
F
F
I have been journaling since I was a teenager. I used to keep them packed away in a box which I kept hidden. Now when I finish one I go back and read it. I think over the things that have happened and how I can change them. When I have finished reading I tear the journal up and get rid of it. Lately I have started keeping my journal on my computer.(of course I have the file named so no one will kknow what it is)I find as I type I get my feelings out better, because I can free write without having to think about it too much like I do when I write in a book.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Rosie, I am so sorry that you don't have that physical reminder anymore. But you DO still have those memories somewhere deep inside you. No one can ever take your thoughts or memories away from you.

Maybe one day you can go to a hypno therapist to see if you can recall some deeper memories of your son. You could take one of those mini-recorders with you to catch the words exactly.

For everyone - I think this thread just goes to show how very personal journaling is! For some it is a way of documenting good memories, for others it is a way fo releasing bad memories from the mind, a cleansing so to speak.

Neither way is wrong - it is just works best for the individual.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
OP Offline
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! I feel rather excited to hear from other journalers this morning, it seems we're a rare breed! Although I know there IS lots of us, trying to find another journaler in the flesh is a lot harder. I've had my name down for a journaling class for a couple of years now, at the local Community House. The class always gets cancelled due to lack of numbers. I would LOVE to sit with another journaler each week and discuss ideas, the process, journals, pens etc. It's been very interesting to hear the for's and againsts keeping a journal or destroying it. Rosie I'm sorry about your son, that must have been awful. Could you maybe do another journal of your memories of him? Hugs xxx It'll be interesting to see in years to come what I do with my journals this time round, keep or destroy. I'm gathering some bits and pieces together to have a go at making my own journals. I've been to the scrapbooking stores to get backing board and paper, and I have a good collection of quilting fabrics to play with, it should be fun. xxx

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Rosie,

How sad you don't have those journals now. When I threw my journals away, they were mainly rants about feelings, thoughts, etc. I think it is very important to keep journals that you may want to look over in the future. I'm sure the church members meant well, but obviously throwing them out wasn't right for you.

I would expect your granddaughter will appreciate reading those journals when she is ready. My sister and I enjoy reading Mom's journals/diaries from her highschool and college years in the late 1930's and early 1940's. They include the death of her younger sister at the age of 15, when Mom was 17.

Journals are so very personal, apparantly we need to decide whether to keep them or not and not allow others to influence us. Thanks for the reminder.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Yarnplay - I'm glad you found us! If you haven't had a chance to check out the daily journaling prompts I've been writing, please do so. That daily reminder and weekly check in can be a nice time to touch base with other journal keepers. :-)

Edie - YES! That's the key - that your personal journals are exactly that. Your personal journals.

I have done both. Written private journals I want burnt upon my death, and less rant-filled-tomes that I intend to pass on. My gratitude journal is open for all to see and sometimes sits in the living room as it is a lovely, leather-covered book.

Angela <><

Angela England
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.