logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I know, I know... easily the most overdone topic on Earth. But honestly--I wonder how many of you have seen these...?

Tips for Keeping Clutter Under Control

Heather DeGeorge
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
That is an excellent article! Our under-sink storage in our kitchen and bathroom are literally overflowing with stuff. We can't need that many cleaning supplies! And it makes it a royal pain to go digging in there for things.

Time for a overhaul!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Heather,
Great article!!! I found when I was cleaning out my closets that I had a ton of stuff I kept "just in case" I would use it for my writing or a business...haven't not used it in 3 years. I tossed about 4 lawn bags full of stuff out. It hurt but I had to close my eyes and throw it out.

I fall into the same trap, Lisa. We have all this stuff and then what happens when I get to the store? I need it but I can't remember if I have it or not so I buy more. It just adds to the clutter.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Shark
Shark
A couple months ago I spent 2 days going through my closet. I donated everything that; I hadn't worn in two years, tried on and simply didn't like, simply don't want to wear, or didn't think it was completely flattering in a full length mirror. Now when I open up my closet I know that everything is something I want to wear and like. I'm not pushing the clothes I never wear around to see if one of my favorite items is still clean or I've forgotten and worn it already.

This also helped since I now knew what I needed to purchase; a new black belt for jeans, a white sweater to match my brown and white skirt and a new black cardigan that's on the dressy side.

I should fess up and point out that this event occured because I moved into an 80 year old house with a master bedroom closet the size of a suitcase. Even with taking over the larger hall linen closet outside my bedroom and organizing my shoes to go under the bed, clothing was busting out everywhere! I actually don't miss my old walk in closet at all anymore and are much happier with my organized closet full of clothes that I love to wear.

I also donate everything that doesn't have a use or a place. If we aren't using it or don't want to display it, unless it's very sentimetal or has a high monetary value it goes to Good Will. I figure it's better to have someone using this item who wants it in their home than me hiding it in my unheated attic or crammed into the back of a closet.

For a multi use cleaner I love the Holy Cow all purpose cleaner. It comes in regular pink spray or concentrated green that can be diluted. You can clean anything with it from kitchen counters to bathtubs, except your mirrors and windows. It smells pleasant too. I get mine at Taylor's Do It Center, but I've seen it other places.

One more tip is, depending on where you live I've gotten rid of a futton and a birdcage we no longer wanted by putting them out front with a sign that says free. It took about 30 minutes to get a taker. smile

Last edited by Charity - Roses; 02/21/09 12:12 AM.

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

When my kids were little, I wore a smock with big pockets in it - four pockets from side to side. I made these smocks. I wore one all day, every day and every time I came across something that was where it should not be, I would put it in a pocket. When I went into a room where this item really should be, I would put it away. This saved me a lot of steps throughout the day.

I made sure my kids each had a little "house wagon" and at the end of their play day (right before Daddy came home) they were taught to take their wagon around the house and pick up all their toys and take them to their room and put them away. It worked quite well. I did not at all mind toys all around the house during the day when my husband was at work.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
Shark
Phyllis,

I love your tips. I especially love the smock idea. You could do a blog and post a pattern, I bet it would be a hit!

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

Wow - that would be a good idea, Charity. I will see if I still have the pattern somewhere. I still basically do the same thing, just do not where a smock anymore. I kind of miss it though.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Might also make use of Freecycle.org (website here) where people offer out stuff they don't want and others come to take it away. I got rid of: a full bed, a 3'x5' whiteboard, a 6' desk, a lamp, and dorm refrigerator, to separate people. They also have a WANTED: topic for those who are looking for something in particular (I've given away candles and a microwave to wanted posts)

It makes me feel a lot better about giving stuff away when I know someone in particular wants it. I cringe at the stuff I threw away before I found this site. Yay recycling!

jenn

Last edited by Jennifer M; 02/21/09 10:23 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I hate to throw things away, so I'm a strong believer of finding some way - any way - to give things away to where they can be used. Even with shampoo and such, I have friends and we rotate extra shampoo to each other to try them out. That helps you feel less guilty about "getting rid" of things because they are really going to new homes.

I definitely use CraigsList too for things that are harder to find new homes for.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I also hate to throw anything away that might have an ounce of use still in it. I have given literal TONNES of stuff to thrift stores over the years. Definitely thousands of dollars worth of stuff. It's always my goal to make my actual 'trash' as tiny a bag as possible, and to recycle everything else. :-)

It's been fun, mostly, thinking about what I really need. Since moving into a motorhome, it's become a do or die situation. There just isn't the room or weight allowance for anything more than what's needed.

I am learning a lot thru this experience.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis, those are great tips about the smock and the wagon. I have a smock. I might use it as you say!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Jill - that is so awesome that you are becoming the ultimate cleaner! Your tips and knowledge will become gold-valuable to the rest of us!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.