logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet

February 2009 Book Club Selection

Welcome to the BellaOnline Tarot Book Club!

The Tarot Book Club Selection for February 2009 will be the intriguing book, Back in Time Tarot by Janet Boyer. Join Us!

February is upon us, bringing Valentine's Days and dreams of spring coming - the perfect time to continue our book club selections. This month we have a fantastic and intriguing new book that will help you learn to work with your tarot deck in a very unique way. Janet has devised a really ingenious way to look at the tarot, and we invite you to join us as we read the book and apply its principles.

Each month, a new book will be featured, augmented with a forum discussion where you can share your questions, opinions, and insights about the Month's Selection. If you wish to participate in the discussion, click on one of the links below to order a copy of the book online, from either the Publisher or through Amazon.com.

February 2009 Book Club Selection

Back in Time Tarot

Our book selection for the month of February 2009 will be Back in Time Tarot,an intriguing book written by author Janet Boyer.

This book offers a very interesting perspective on the use of the Tarot to connect with the past. If you wish to join in the discussion, you can buy the book online from Amazon.

Stay tuned for my full review of this intriguing book which will launch this month's Book Club Discussion in February!

Back In Time Tarot
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/31/09 11:38 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by June - Editor: Tarot, Web; 01/31/09 11:55 PM.

June Kaminski, MSN PhD(c)
BellaOnline Web Design Editor
Visions of Adonai Design and Hygeia Design
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
F
Thanks for your information. Sounds so interesting!!

Zebra
Zebra
Hi June and everyone!

I'm thrilled to know that my book Back in Time Tarot was selected for the February 2009 Tarot Book Club here at BellaOnline.com!

I'd be more than happy to answer interactions and post BIT Snapshots for us to practice on, if you'd like.

Here's the introduction to my book that I've excerpted on my site, including a sample BIT Snapshot: click here.

Here's a specially created BIT Snapshot that was featured in Tarot World Magazine before the U.S. Presidential election. This particular Snapshot isn't in my book, but will give you an idea of my BIT Method.

As in my book, each of the BIT Snapshots offered by either myself or a dozen of my friends and colleagues (all published Tarot authors or deck creators) is followed by three "Your Turn" exercises to aid individuals in forging an intimate connection with the Tarot. (There are over 100 such Your Turn exercises in Back in Time Tarot).

(Please note: this following BIT Snapshot is copyrighted and can not be featured anywhere without my permission.)

Hillary and Bill Clinton � Power Couple Extraordinaire

"Do you want to be the lead actor in your life, or a minor player who simply reacts to what others think you should say or do?"

This quote from A Woman in Charge by Carl Bernstein was a question often posed by Dorothy Rodham to her daughter, Hillary Clinton.

While education was the foundation of both Hugh and Dorothy Rodham's parenting styles, Hillary's father advocated, "Learning for earning's sake" while Dorothy emphasized "Learning for learning's sake."

Constantly harassed by her confrontational, cruel and narrow-minded husband, Dorothy nevertheless remained open and inquisitive. Hugh's tactics were supposedly "tough love" before tough love was in vogue, attempting to "empower" his kids into "scrappy fighters" by forging them through the fire of his withering criticism, impossible standards and withholding of praise.

It's no surprise that Hillary is a fierce competitor, relentless achiever, and ruthless perfectionist�a resilient and adaptable force often considered a "ball buster", "ice queen" or plain old [censored].

Equally intriguing is Hillary's marriage to Bill Clinton. Despite the humiliation and rage instigated by Bill's recurrent extra- marital forays and lies, Hillary continues to not only "stand by her man", but also uses him as a tactical pawn for her own political ambitions�including her first bid for the White House.

While some may view The Lovers as a lovey-dovey romance card, I view it as strategic alliances and contractual agreements (spoken and unspoken), as well as difficult choices between head versus heart�a perfect card representing Hillary and Bill Clinton.

The Lovers � According to Bernstein, "There is no question, judging from their own words and those of their friends, that since their courtship, each had come to regard the other as the brightest star in their universe; that this fusion of energy and purpose was never just about him, but about them and the art of the possible." Despite enduring passionate arguments, personal attacks from former friends, foes and the media, his straying, and her furious reactions, theClintons have somehow retained a galvanized relationship.

The Chariot � Notice this card is named The Chariot, not The Charioteer. Hillary and Bill characterize their life together as the "Journey", which reminds me of a vehicle of purpose rather than parallel, individualistic lives. This "Journey" appears to be an inexorable machine plowing through obstacles (often self-made), fueled by shared idealism, political ambition, shrewd pragmatism and Hillary's iron will (as well as her efficient ability to clean up Bill's numerous messes). Whether via Bill's "libidinous carelessness" or Hillary's "botched handling of their health care agenda", when one of these charioteers turns suddenly, their Chariot flies off the rails and crashes in a twisted wreck of scandal, speculation, legal wrangling and alienation. Somehow, some way, these determined Lovers get back on track repeatedly.

The Moon � Interestingly, Bernstein calls The Rodhams "a family of secrets"�just like the Clintons. This comes as no surprise to Americans, who witnessed the Monica Lewinsky scandal and subsequent fallout firsthand. However, family secrets reached far back into both sides of the genealogical tree. For example, both of Dorothy Rodham's parents abandoned Hillary's mother at age eight, but Hillary didn't find out until she began writing her book It Takes a Village. I tend to see The Moon as a card indicating deception, secrets and illusion. If the Magician is a spell caster, The Moon is the atmosphere, impact and results of such woven webs.

Magician � A card of massaging the truth and spin doctoring, the Clinton camp are the paragon of silver-tongued persuasion and casting aspersions upon anyone that dares to defy their "Chariot". A prime example happened when a reporter brought up rumors of Barack Obama's ties to Islam. When asked pointedly if she believed these rumors, she emphatically denied that she did�but at the end, she added a slick, wide-eyed caveat "to my knowledge".

Queen of Swords � The poor Queen of Swords often gets the reputation of being cold, conniving and spiteful. While Hillary is indeed a Scorpio (a sign often unfairly categorized much the same way), she brings many intellectual gifts to the table, including resourcefulness, damage control expertise and idealism. Instead of choosing to work at established law firms out of college, she instead chose to go to bat for the non-profit Children's Defense Fund, an organization that lobbies for children's welfare. In many ways, Hillary epitomizes the Athena archetype, including idolizing her father while rationalizing his cruelty and indifference, intimidating those around her with the "Medusa effect" and counseling her husband on policy matters (see Goddesses in Everywoman by Jean Shinoda Bolen for more information on female archetypes).

After reading the absorbing biography A Woman in Charge by Carl Bernstein, I have a greater appreciation for the crucibles that likely forged Hillary's demeanor, ambitions and choices. At this writing, it's unknown whether this half of the Clinton Lovers will go on to become America's Emperor�but it will certainly be a careening Chariot ride either way.

Your Turn

� Consider an unlikely romantic relationship, business partnership or other arrangement that you've witnessed. Which cards would you select to represent how and why it seems to "work", as well as the individuals and circumstances surrounding the union?

� From what you know of Hillary and Bill Clinton, which cards would you choose to represent their relationship, decisions, behavior, policies, relatives, friends, advisors and political legacies?

� Think of a movie, book or story where a couple stayed together for reasons practical, strategic or downright obsessive. Which cards symbolize the situation, intentions, emotions, conversations and outcome of this couple and their choices?

Blessings to you all!

Janet

Last edited by Janet_Boyer; 02/03/09 11:16 AM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Thanks so much for sharing this with our readers, Janet!

I have posted my review of our Book Club Selection, The Back in Time Tarot Book. You can read it at:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art60797.asp

June Kaminski, MSN PhD(c)
BellaOnline Web Design Editor
Visions of Adonai Design and Hygeia Design

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.