Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#489271 01/29/09 06:57 PM
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Do you have a special spot? Do you prefer to write in complete solitude? Or can you write with other people around you?

Stephen King's "On Writing" book (a great read if you can ignore the occasional expletive) he says his best work took place in a crummy corner of a laundry room. In a mobile home, an apartment. He cranked out his work in a place where the "real" world was inacessible. This forced him to turn inward where he could get into his zone, that realm of imagination that he channeled. He didn't say anything about channeling. That is my impression.

So, where do you write?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
It is absolutely crazy, but I seem to get the most writing done when I am at my daughter's cheerleading practice!

She has to be there for 2 hrs - 3 or 4 days a week, there is nothing for me to do, so I bring my computer and type away.

The only problem is when some of the other Moms get in a chatty mood and include me. I literally have to say to them "I have to wrok tonight, so I'm going to my corner." grin

Last edited by Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd; 01/29/09 08:45 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I need to buy a laptop because I'm either working on the computer at my desk in the family room or in my office at work.
The problem with my office at work, being an HR manager you can only imagine the number of interruptions. At my desk in the family room, I'm always chatting with the family or watching TV, except on weekends. Hopefully I can put a laptop in my budget sometime in the near future.
Lori,I am going to see if I can find the book you mention it sounds interesting.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Oh, please do! You'll really like it. It's one of the best writing books I've read, and I've read many!

I'm not a fan of his genre, but wow, he gives it to you straight. It was practical and fascinating at the same time! He talks about his early life and how he gleaned little bits and pieces for his stories. It was part autobiography and part writing lesson that reads like a can't-put-it-down novel.

Let me know what you think.

B
Shark
Shark
B
Normally on transit, I always carry a steno pad with me, that way when inspiration hits, I'm ready.

During the spring/summer by the lake or in the park. I love the serenity!

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I too always have pen and paper with me at all times. And just like Michelle, I brought my work with me when the kids were at their various practices, and people wpould intentionally be over my shoulder trying and straining to see what I was writing it was funny! Sometimes I would sit in the car, and they would finally leave me alone.

I love sitting somewhere, kitchen, study, dining room when the sun istreaming in through the windows just love that!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Shark
Shark
What a great question! I know that my favorite (or one of them) childhood author, Brian Jacques always writes by hand sitting under a tree. I am more of a computer laptop junkie and so have done my best writing working overnight shifts, riding on long car rides or in the deepest darkest corner of the library. I always think that I am going to get more writing done during lull times at work, but can't ever seem to get that to happen.

Melissa

L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I love to write under this shady tree overlooking Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, I am frequently distracted by the beautiful vista, and in my experience Stephen King was right: I write more when I'm locked away. The problem is I don't care to be locked away. But I do enjoy entering my writing zone. So I'm caught in the middle...which probably is why I have a lot of half-completed works.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I agree - stephen King's book is GREAT!

I "type" at computer or "write" at dining room table or on the couch with clipboard prooped on my knees. I formulate a lot that gets 'written' later while beachcombing early most mornings. that's where many new ideas get fleshed out a bit or problems in re-write get gappled with. If I didn't live on a tropical island I guess the latter would happen where EVER I was walking. Used to in the car when I lived half my life in one (now don't even have one.)

HeyYou
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
A tropical island? Lived half your life in a car? Now that's fodder for writing!

Which island?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.