Next Thread
Print Thread
#482519 01/06/09 04:47 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I could benefit from this one wink
A new Indian study involving 120 women found that those who practiced Yoga {along with breathing exercises and meditation}
for an hour five days a week had 50% fewer hot flashes and night sweats than those who simply did stretching exercises.
The yoga group also reported improved memory. By helping you unwind yoga is thought to free your mind to control body functioning.
Jilly & Lisa do yous do yoga for an hour at a time??
It would seem to go by slow and take forever, my treadmill walking seems to take forever. smile

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yeah, i often do it for an hour. I usually say i will do it for 15-20 minutes, but then it's so fun i just keep going.

Thanks Rosie, that's neat information. Drs should prescribe it!

"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Its something i thought about doing. but believe me my body is NOT flexible to do some of those poses, also if i get down on the floor i can't get up. frown

Rosie L
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Rosie,
You may not be flexible when you first start doing yoga but I guarantee that your flexibility will improve little by little until you surprise yourself. Same thing with getting up, that gets easier as your flexibility and strength improves. So start out and do what you can, push yourself to your limit but not over, and slowly you will see that limit get further and further.
Try doing the floor exercises with a chair close by, so you can haul yourself up with it. The trick is to roll over onto your belly, get up on hands and knees, then grab the chair and pull up. Pretty soon you won;t need the help.
I was stiff and frozen when I started yoga at the age of about 67 or so, and thought I would never be able to do the poses, but my body loosened up bit by bit and things that seemed impossible gradually became easy.
I don't do an hour daily, my more realistic goal is to do a yoga practise 5 days a week, and the length varies from 35 mins to an hour plus. The main thing is to DO it!
I agree that treadmill walking is boring in the extreme, likewise stationary bicycle riding, but with yoga you are doing all sorts of different exercises and it goes by in a flash.

M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the great information. It's exciting to learn about more and more studies that confirm the great health benefits of yoga. I guess that is why it has been around for thousands of years!

If you are having difficulty you may want to consider Chair Yoga. There is a great DVD by Susan Winter Ward available where all the poses are done either seated in a chair or with a chair for support. I am intending to do a review of it for my site soon. It's called Sitting Fit and is Sitting Fit Chair DVD available on Amazon.

Martha McKinnon
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I used to take a yoga class, but the instructor kept talking about her vacations and about a time she was robbed, etc... with some of the class regulars which made it very hard to find that "peace" that I thought was supposed to come from yoga. Plus while she was talking she kept forgetting to change our position, usually led with an "oops".
I enjoyed yoga itself, and I've found that since I quit, I've become quite inflexible. Any gentle way to ease back into yoga after a 12 month hiatus?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Everyone thanks for the encouragement, And the info

Rosie L
M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Dianne,

Since you have some yoga experience, a gentle DVD might be the way to go. I have done several Yoga DVD Reviews that may help.

Martha McKinnon
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Thanks Martha,
I am going to see if I can find the one for the lower back right away...I had to go to the doctore yesterday for muscle relaxers and pain pills (moving a new sofa into my house).

After that there were some pretty interesting ones on your list.

Thanks!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Dianne,

Hope you find relief. I know first hand how debilitating back pain can be. Would love you to keep me posted on your progress and recovery.

Last edited by Mexican Food/Yoga Editor; 01/27/09 04:59 PM.

Martha McKinnon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.