logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
At the conclusion of any educational pursuit we often assume that our value, employability, and prospects will be much higher than pre-degree status. But is that the case? Many times a regular degree results in lackluster positions as well as the inability to gain employment in the field for which you have a degree. Frustrating to say the least is the inability to obtain employment for the pay you expect with a higher level of education.

Sanita Salter, DistLearning Editor
Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
A good friend of mine got an on-line degree while in the military.She went all the way to her Master's degree all paid for by the military.

Then she went job hunting when she retired from the air-force and had many doors closed because she got her degree from an on-line college. Even the Veterans Administration turned her down for an internship as her education wasn't what they wanted.

She has finally got a job, but it took two years. She probably did not get the job based on her education but rather her experience. I think it's a shame and I think we all really need to take a long look at who is having success with on line degrees.

I am getting ready to go back to school to get my masters. I have tried two different on-line schools but dropped out due to the fear of wasting my money.

Finally The University of Alabama started offering on line degrees and I am going to do one of their master's programs. I think it is safer until the world finally catches up to technology.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
hmmmm....when you consider so many people don't have any degrees at all and get decent jobs, I don't see how an online degree can hurt you unless your job requires special certification of some kind--doctor, lawyer etc. I think having the skills required for the job--walking in the door with a special skill set--is more important than where you went to school. I would only go to an online school that offered TERRIFIC internship opportunities. And I'd try to get hands on experience the entire time I was in the program.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Parakeet
Parakeet
I guess due to where I live, I have a strange view. If you don't have an advanced degree here, there isn't much opportunity.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

OP Offline
I remember seeing advertisements for University of South Alabama and online learning opportunities about three years ago. They were specific programs (nursing is one I remember considering)however, I chose psychology at Walden University. I think it was the start dates that swayed me (or at least one of the reasons)to choose Walden University.

I wish you well in your pursuit of higher education. Good for you!

Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
OP Offline
I think the times have changed for opportunities at good, great, or even decent paying employment without an education past high school. Even those who do not pursue AA's, BA's, Masters, or doctorates have some sort of trade certification or credentialing behind them. In these times having skills for a job may offer some advantage however in my opinion, with a myriad of folks returning for a higher education these days, many folks finding decent jobs unless self employed will not have a chance at decent paying jobs. I'm sure the career section can offer better insight on this part.

If finding a job with a Bachelors degree is difficult and driving more folks to pursue Masters degrees, Six Sigma Certifications or anything past that degree they already have...then it will surely be much more difficult for the individual with skills and no degree.

Focusing on online schools with internship opportunities is a good idea also.

Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
Many Colleges don't differentiate between an online or regular degree. So when employers are asking if you've graduated they won't know its online-and you don't have to disclose that.

M
M
I think that times have changed because so many of the colleges that are well-known and have great reputations are now offering online degrees because they have such long waiting lists to get it and many students are not able to get into their colleges of choice. A degree is a degree in today's world. They just want to know that you have it and then they focus the rest of the review to experience.

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.