Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
kangtuo, asinmylife, izzy87, fanaledrinks112, sophaylavender
56995 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56995 Members
417 Forums
112504 Topics
795246 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 730
Beetlemess 707
Karm - SW USA Editor 283
Nancy Roussy 187
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 161
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 128
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 126
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 120
Linu 111
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 101
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#487836 - 01/25/09 05:31 AM Setting Up an Etsy Shop
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I'm interested in setting up an Etsy shop for my origami. Can people who are using Etsy offer any advice on getting started?

Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Twitter Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Facebook Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to MySpace Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Del.icio.us Digg Setting Up an Etsy Shop Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Yahoo My Web Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Google Bookmarks Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Stumbleupon Add Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Reddit
#489693 - 01/31/09 02:50 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

OK I am going to give this a try! For costs it says "It costs 20 cents to list an item for four months. When your item sells, you�ll pay a 3.5% transaction fee. " that seems reasonable.

Shoot! Someone already took "lisashea"! I thought I owned that name everywhere on the entire web smile I don't want to be "Lisa Shea origami" because I might sell non-origami stuff. Hmph.

I'll take lisasheadotcom - you can't have an actual "." in a name.

Done! Now to set up some items!

Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Twitter Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Facebook Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to MySpace Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Stumbleupon Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Reddit
#489698 - 01/31/09 03:09 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Stephanie - Weight Loss Offline
Parakeet

Let us know how it goes!

Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Twitter Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Facebook Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to MySpace Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Stumbleupon Add Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop to Reddit
#489706 - 01/31/09 03:30 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

OK everybody I am looking for feedback! Here is my shop -

Lisa's New Etsy Shop

Any suggestions on the entries there? It was really quick and easy to set up! I'm happy to help anyone else who wants to do this. Etsy is a great way to promote any hand made crafts you have.

#489712 - 01/31/09 03:54 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Parakeet

Looks Great Lisa!

#489714 - 01/31/09 03:55 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Stephanie - Weight Loss]
BellaOnline Editor

It was REALLY easy. You can see by my post time stamps that it took under and hour from start to finish to get the entire thing done. If anyone wants help in setting up Etsy post here and we can all chime in!

Do you think my photos are clear enough?

#489718 - 01/31/09 04:23 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Leah - BellaWellness Host Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hey Lisa! Very cool:)! I like your Etsy shop! I really like your banner!

I think for your photos, if you brighten them, they will come off even better. That's one of the things I've learned from the forums on Etsy - increasing the fill light! I think they are definitely clear though.

I LOVE the pictures for the pink bouquet - they are interesting with nice but not distracting backgrounds. I am drawn to these type of pictures more when I browse through Etsy shops.

One of the Etsy forums suggested that you not put words in your pictures but I think that's probably personal preference.

I'm still working on my shop but you guys can check it out:).

Leah's Etsy Shop

#489720 - 01/31/09 04:49 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Parakeet

That's great.

Yes the photos look really clear to me.

I'm not sure if the origami would show up better with a plain background though? To me they would show up better on a white or one color back ground. Do you think?

#489722 - 01/31/09 05:32 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Stephanie - Weight Loss]
mygemstonebox Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Smithfield RI, USA
Hey Lisa!
That is a really lovely banner...it pops. I hearted your shop (saved as a favorite)!

A suggestion that I was given when I started out is that the Announcements section of your shop should be very short... ie: buyers want to see what you're selling as quickly as possible. You might want to move some of the good info you have listed into your profile area.... no need for duplicate info between areas.

Another area I still struggle with is photos...they need to be very clear, concise and bright. Getting more light into your pics will help your lovely Origami stand out.

The forums on Etsy are a great way to get info for guidance. Here is a lens I authored on the subject... hope it gives you some ideas especially on promoting your new storefront:
http://www.squidoo.com/promoteEtsy

Most sellers relist items on a regular basis, it is really the only way within the Etsy framework to bring your items to the top of the search. Although, you should have an easier time of it than all of us who sell jewelry there!!

Again, best of luck and if you have any questions... let me know~ I'll be glad to help!!
D
MyGemStoneBox by Diane Blog

#489812 - 01/31/09 06:56 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Leah - BellaWellness Host]
BellaOnline Editor

Leah - I adore your banner, that is really pretty!

What do you mean by no words in my pictures? I don't think my pictures have words in them? Do you mean the watermarking? I *have* to have watermarking in my pictures, people steal them pretty much every single day, to put in their forums for "ideas for my wedding" or "ideas for my party". If people are going to steal them so much, at least I can get some advertising out of it. I really can't stop their thefts.

#489814 - 01/31/09 06:57 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Stephanie - Weight Loss]
BellaOnline Editor

Originally Posted By: Stephanie L Watson
I'm not sure if the origami would show up better with a plain background though? To me they would show up better on a white or one color back ground. Do you think?

I thought all my Etsy origami did have a neutral background? Which one were you looking at?

#489818 - 01/31/09 07:00 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: mygemstonebox]
BellaOnline Editor

MyGemstoneBox - thanks for the great advice! Part of my focus with that main page info is that there are thousands of origami sellers out there and many of them are young kids who do a very shoddy job. So that impacts what people think they should pay for origami. I need to make clear up front that I've been doing this a while and create high quality product, so when they see my prices they understand why they are higher than other sites. If they don't see that material, they might just balk at the prices and leave immediately. I will try shortening that up to get the message across with fewer words though!

That seems really cheesy that you'd have to keep relisting to get a high entry. It encourages people to "game" the system which I never liked. I will think about that later.

Is there any way to add HTML to your main site description, your profile or to an item description? Like bold and italics?

#489827 - 01/31/09 07:15 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

OK - shipping question. in eBay I can say that I need to caculate shipping for international people. Here it makes me set ONE price! How can I set a single price for the entire rest of the world? Or do I really have to go country by country and hand calculate it for every location, for every item?

#489860 - 01/31/09 09:35 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Hey Lisa,

Thanks, I was wondering if my banner was clear enough!

I copied the link to some of the forum talks on watermarks. It seems totally like a personal preference. They do give some ideas of how to make it "less distracting". People have all kinds of opinions that they offer - it might be worth a read to get some ideas:).

Etsy Opinions on Watermarking

A Specific Thread

I hope your shop "takes off"!

#489862 - 01/31/09 09:38 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Leah - BellaWellness Host]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Just saw your other questions. With shipping most people state that if it's an international buyer to just message them for shipping prices.

Also the thing with relisting getting you to the top - Etsy has been feeling the same way about it too, that its a cheesy way of promotion so they are actually working on ways to make this more fair. I really like that they are responsive to things like this and seriously interested in running an honest operation that maintains it's indy charm.

smile

Leah

#489888 - 01/31/09 11:50 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Parakeet

Amethyst and Crystal Spirituality-Themed Purple Six Crane Origami Mobile

On Etsy

On my computer the background looks like it has a pattern and competes with the origami...

#493607 - 02/13/09 04:14 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
firebird56 Offline

Loc: Virginia,USA
How is your shop doing? I make handmade greeting cards and am considering opening a shop.

#494829 - 02/18/09 04:57 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: firebird56]
BellaOnline Editor

I haven't had anyone order an item yet, but I think it's yet another way to get "free publicity" for my origami items. So I think it's always a good idea to take every avenue you can to pursue your interests. You never know which one will catch someone's eye!

Just today I am doing my first ever silver origami (real silver jewelry in my kiln). I'll be putting them on Etsy and I'll let you know how they go!

#495202 - 02/19/09 01:11 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
LM - Writing for Children Offline
Amoeba

I love both of the shops! This information is very useful and inspiring. Time to roll up my sleeves!

#499775 - 03/04/09 10:16 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: LM - Writing for Children]
BellaDeb Offline
Zebra

Loc: Memphis, TN
Lovely! I so wish I was a crafty person! I recommend etsy quite often. It's a great way to get started, and from what I hear, gets better pricing than eBay.

Remember to use good marketing tactics here, too--include biz cards with shipments, keep a customer list of ppl who buy from you, maybe include a one-sheet "catalog" or a tip sheet (how to's, FAQ's like symbols, color meanings, etc).

The goal is not just to make one sell but to create a customer base so you can get repeat business!

Good Luck!
Smart Marketing Works

#627123 - 09/10/10 04:58 AM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Leah - BellaWellness Host]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I thought i would bump up this old thread. Anyone have success with an etsy shop?

#795758 - 12/11/12 01:40 PM Re: Setting Up an Etsy Shop [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Sandra Investing/HFinance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Just thought I'd add to this thread. Lisa just sold a beautiful moonstone necklace on her Etsy site. Way to go Lisa!
Home Finance Website
Home Finance Forum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Vi - Blogs/Small Office 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Shaving for us women ?
by rhondaf43
Body Care
7 minutes 10 seconds ago
100 days of gratitude
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 07:22 AM
Name some Angels & Their Meaning
by Rosie 66
Bible Basics
Today at 06:04 AM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Rosie 66
Home Finance
Today at 05:54 AM
New game
by Rosie 66
History
Today at 05:46 AM
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:47 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:45 AM
Santos Cage Doll SVG Cut File - First Steps
by Digital Art and Animation
Digital Art and Design
Today at 04:23 AM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 02:47 AM
Is it possible?
by kangtuo
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 01:54 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (rhondaf43, Anjel37), 81 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.