Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
This is a question for both buyers and sellers.

eBay has generated a lot of debate over the past year with all of it's changes. Just wondering how many people are jumping ship for another site or giving up completely?

Anyone still love it and would never think of leaving?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I don't love it. I am REALLY annoyed by it and some of their changes. But that being said, I am in a massive house-cleaning effort and I always put things on ebay. I figure they have the largest market and have my best chance of getting rid of these things. I don't see there's a real option yet to go to.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
As a buyer so many things don't feel right and the new, "improved" search makes things difficult to find. I always compare prices and because eBay is pushing fixed price over auctions, prices are often higher on eBay than other marketplaces.

Personally I preferred auctions over fixed price. Auctions allowed sellers to offer items at a low opening bid and if an item was desirable the market would tell. For buyers auctions offered the opportunity to get a great deal on items that didn't generate a lot of interest. Everyone had fun, made connections and your auctions, were really your auctions. You could set your own payment options, shipping charges, etc.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely like the auctions better. It gives people a sense of "fighting" to get what they want and maybe getting a deal. I like participating in an auction myself. If I was just going to buy something at a fixed price I wouldn't go on ebay, I'd go to a normal store where I had better price protection and return policies.

Low Carb Forum
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
As a previous eBay Seller, and of course Buyer the changes have been difficult.

I sold on eBay four years ago, and absolutely loved it. I was able to make a good profit, had fun getting to know my customers, and enjoyed the whole experience. At the time, I also had a great time bidding on items myself. After 18 months I gave up selling on eBay, as I was busy taking care of a sick family member.

This past fall, August to be exact, I returned to eBay to sell some antiques and other items and was quite surprised, not to mention disappointed at the changes. I did sell on there for four months, but found it very disappointing. The cost to Sellers to list and even be competitive seemed unfair. Your correct when talking about the Buy It Now's, as there is no other way to really list an item and not spend more than it's worth. The fee's are ridiculous, and the only real way to compete is to open a eBay Store, which costs more money. I did open a store, and the recurring fee's is unbelievable. Unless you cancel an item on time, they automatically relist it and charge you. If you have many items listed, like I did, you have to watch everything throughout the day to make sure you don't miss anything running off, or you get charged. Additionally, there is favortism to Buyers and not Sellers when there is a problem also. Overall a bad experience.

It's sad that eBay made the changes they did, and I understand it is due to the New Ownership. I am a believer though, "If it's not broke, don't try and fix it." rule.

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Sandy I've heard others complain of the same problems. It just doesn't appear to be worthwhile for the average person to sell on eBay anymore.

What do you think about the Paypal requirement and shipping charge limitations for certain categories?

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
As a buyer I am disappointed also. I don't fool with it much anymore.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The paypal requirement bugs me a lot. Some people have very valid reasons for not wanting to be on paypal and I had no reason taking a check or money order from them.

Low Carb Forum
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Paypal, yes that is another issue. Four years ago the fee's on Paypal irritated me, but I continued to sell. When I went back on eBay last August I was shocked at how the fee's had increased and how they too are in the Buyers favor, not Sellers. Here Paypal is making money off the Seller, but went there is an "issue" they favor with the Buyer. This happened to me where Paypal just returned the money to the Buyer, but charged me. She still had the antique bracelet and my money. Does this makes sense - NO.

Another area that was really disappointing was the fact that eBay now ONLY allows Paypal. They were discontinuing all other ways of payments when I quit selling on there, and were only allowing Paypal. I am sure eBay and Paypal worked out a great financial deal between themselves, but really hurt all of Sellers and even Buyers. As a Buyer, you may not want to put your CC information on the Internet and as a Seller you may not want to pay Paypal fee's. I guess they forgot who made them so financially wealthy....sad as it is.

Blessings.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well it's not a financial deal - ebay actually owns PayPal now smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.